Thirteen

He drives home singing to loud music and eating the cookies his mum made for him. He's constantly hungry now, something he can't complain about. He'd been able to fit into his sister's clothes and she used to be three sizes smaller than him.

He has a smile on his face as he pulls up and when he walks inside, he swears the house is brighter. Maybe it's him, but Sam feels like he can call the mansion 'home' once more. He heads up to his room first because he remembers that it seemed pretty bleak and he has some new posters to put up.

He's right. His walls seem dull and boring. He pulls out a bag of posters and artworks, setting them up so that the colour gives life to his room. He's happy with it and he catches himself whistling. He hasn't whistled in months.

Apparently, Colby thinks so too because he sticks his head into the hallway and calls Sam's name.

"Yes?" Sam trills, feeling better than he has in years. His dad was right, he just needs to live life the way he wants to.

"Can you keep it down? I have a headache."

"Nope," Sam says brightly. "There's Panadol in the bathroom if it's that bad."

Colby steps out of his room with a frown and Sam feels a flicker of apprehension in his stomach. What if he was wrong and things weren't the way he thought they were? Shut up, he tells himself. This is my life. If they don't like it, I'll move.

"You're happy today," Colby says, slightly confused. "What's the occasion?"

"Nothing. Just happy."

Colby eyes him suspiciously. "Sure. Anyway, I think we need to talk."

Sam just laughs. "Maybe later," he tells his best friend. "I wanna stuff myself full of...I don't know, ice cream?"

Colby raises an eyebrow. "Are you asking me?"

"Do you want me to ask you?"

Colby's face lightens and he grins. "Give me a minute," he says, then adds, "You're paying."

Sam shrugs and grabs a jacket, tucking his phone in his pocket. He doesn't feel so monotone anymore, the world isn't muted. The colours are bright around him. He feels ridiculously happy. It's almost concerning.

Colby joins him after a moment and they chat while walking down the stairs. They take Sam's car, because while Colby's name is plastered on the red Toyota...it's a cheap-ass car. Sam smirks at the thought.

They drive down to the beach and order the biggest ice-creams they can find. They're joking and talking hours after the sun goes down and it isn't until Colby falls asleep on the way home that Sam realises it's the first time they've hung out together that hasn't been for a video. The thought is comforting and he smiles gently to himself. He pulls up at home, wakes Colby up and leads him up the stairs and into the room. He makes sure the brunette takes his shoes off and is tucked under the covers before returning to his own room and changing out of his jeans into some soft shorts.

It's been a good day, Sam reflects, one of the best, actually. He knows now that he can do this, he can keep himself happy. He's strong.

Before he sleeps his thoughts wander to Colby and Katrina. He doesn't know how long it's been going on but he would've been okay if they'd just talked to him about it. The fact that they were on his bed, kissing, and Sam was the last to find out hurt more than anything.

He still doesn't regret punching Brennen because he probably deserved it one way or another. The Taylor had a knack for getting himself in trouble.

Sam laughs softly to himself and pulls up Spotify on his phone. He falls asleep listening to something he's never heard before and then he's out and the moon watches over him while he sleeps.

IM SORRY ITS SO LATE I HAD PERFORMANCES ALL DAY FRIDAY AND THEN MOST OF THE DAY TODAY AND IVE ALSO BEEN DEALING WITH A BAD BOUT OF COUGHING BUT HERES A CHAPTER I LOVE YOU GUYS