Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen- Plans Unraveling 

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -Carl Sagan

-

Tony 

 Everyone has been anxious since we evacuated Agent Romanoff, Barton, and Rogers. We are completely in the dark of what the Titans are planning. We have no clues or indication where they plan to attack. Director Fury has a team working nonstop to alert all S.H.I.E.L.D. agencies around the world to keep their eyes peeled for any suspicious activity. However, so far there has been no word on the Titans. I'm sure Thor knows some background information on the beast, but I haven't seen him lately or heard if he does indeed know anything about Thanos. Banner and I have been working nonstop on a way to securely hold Thanos and a device to throw off his telepathic abilities so he will not be able to hurt us that way. Since Thanos could easily crush Monica and I in our suits it has become crucial that we create such a device.

 Monica has been reclusive ever since we returned. By reclusive I mean she has not come out of her room for the past four days after the mission. I tried knocking on her door a few times but with no response. Alex has tried too but with the same luck as I. He doesn't seem too concerned nor was I the first few days. I did not notice her absence as unusual. The night following her first mission I went to find Monica and tell her she went beyond my low expectations in Hamburg, but she didn't answer her door. I hardly thought much about it until Monica failed to show up to training the next day. That was when I decided to just grant her space. I have yet to see even a glimpse of Monica since we were flying up to the helicarrier when she was carrying Agent Barton.

 Agent Barton is doing well now. The doctors where easily able to close his wounds and give him intravenous fluids. They cauterized his busted vein and now it is just a matter of time to let his body heal on its own. Clint is unable to do much of anything except hobble around the helicarrier on crutches. The doctors insist that he mustn't do any physical activity or missions for at least three weeks. Despite this, we know if Thanos's army is planning to attack soon we will need Agent Barton. His spirits have not been crushed, however. If anything he is annoyed at being restricted to crutches or a wheelchair. I am sure that, as an agent at his level, being hindered by something as trivial as crutches is mentally killing Agent Barton.

 "Turn it up to level five," Banner instructs Alex as we test out a transmitter, "It's so working so far."

 Alex twists the little knob that sends out imitations of Thanos's telepathic waves to test our device which is inside a ball of titanium alloy. The machine only sends out magnetic waves that are able to bend metal and plastic. It doe not have "telekinetic" abilities but it's the closest thing to it. Telekenisis and telepathy are not something that is familiar in the scientific world. We can only hope that if this little device works against our machine that it'll work just as well against Thanos. I did most of the work in creating it as Banner helped me work out different formulas and a way to counteract the magnetic waves. Now it just has to pass the final check with Banner and Alex putting it to the test.

 "Have you seen Monica lately?" I offhandedly ask Alex.

 "Nope," Alex replies, "Oh, it's working!"

 "Turn it up to six," Doctor Banner observes the metal.

 "Aren't you worried? Is anything wrong with her?" I clear my throat.

 "Not really. Mon becomes a hermit when she's trying to figure out something," Alex replies, "Can I turn it up more?"

 "Wait a minute," Banner scribbles something down on his notepad.