As Taehyung steps into the cafeteria, he feels like he's in high school all over again. The obnoxious smell of terrible food invades his nostrils, and the worst part is the sight unfolding before him that's definitely a lot less pretty than the one in high school canteens. No one would be able to tell that this is a rich people's prison, because in this scenery they all just look like the criminals they are. Dirty looks and disgustingly suggestive moves are sent in Taehyung's direction, old pigs tease the younger, scared prisoners, others try to bribe the lady behind the counter into giving them more, or better food, and should she not oblige, rape and death threats fly out of the prisoners' mouths as if they were simply singing the words to a popular pop song.

If it wasn't for the golden, diamond, platinum jewelry decorating their repulsive greasy hands and necks, the mobile phones some of them have to their ear while they stuff their mouths and mumble out financial strategies, Taehyung would've sworn he wasn't in a "special prison".

He suddenly spots fluffy red hair in the distance and doesn't even bother finishing to fill up his plate. He steps out of the queue and dashes towards the redhead who is just taking place alone at a table near the trash bin.

Taehyung sets his plate on the table, startling the boy as he does, and he sits right in front of him. The boy's eyes widen when he recognizes his face, and his expression turns into something... fearful.

"I-I'm sorry, I p-promise I didn't have a c-choic-"

"Are you okay, Donghyuk? Did you go see Seokjin in block B?" Taehyung interrupts him.

Donghyuk's lips part without a sound coming out of them for a few seconds. He expected rage, fury, vengeful threats to leave Taehyung's mouth the second he gets out of solitary, not... concern. He clears his throat, snapping out of his thoughts.

"Y-Yeah. I did, but... how do you know about the doctor in cell three?"

"Seokjin told me. Doesn't he tell all the newbies?"

"No, not at all. He tells the people he trusts. It took me a month to gain his trust, but that's just because I'm a kid and because of... the thing that happened to me that first month. It took others months, possibly even years. Seokjin doesn't just hand out information about himself and his cellmates." Donghyuk explains, before starting to poke at his food with his plastic fork. "I guess he had a good feeling about you..."

His last words were mumbles, almost to himself, and Taehyung can guess that he feels guilty because his face is so easy to read, the way a small crease forms between his eyebrows, the way his lips are pressed in a thin line as he tries to keep himself from tearing up. The more time he spends with him, the more he truly thinks that that kid belongs anywhere but here.

Donghyuk jumps a little from surprise when he feels a hand on his head, gently ruffling his hair. He looks up to see a beautiful, kind smile on Taehyung's face, one he never thought he'd see because the smiles in this place always hide evil of some sort. Taehyung looks bright, genuine, so different from the unreachable expression he usually bears, and Donghyuk feels like he's seen a glimpse of the light residing inside him.

"None of what happened to you, or me, is your fault." Taehyung softly says, then puts his hand back down as he speaks in a firmer tone. "Did you see your counselor about it?"

"Yeah, they got me an appointment right after taking you away... it didn't help that much though. They say all counselors here have degrees in psychiatry and psychology but really, I felt like I was speaking to a robot."

"Why is that?" Taehyung asks, shoving a sweet potato into his mouth.

"He just kept pretending to listen and scribbled stuff in his notebook. It was to mechanical, I felt like a damn lab rat... I seriously hope you don't have him. Who's your assigned counselor?"