열여덟

Jungkook's leaning his forehead on the barred window of his cell. There isn't a single ray of sunlight in sight, but no matter how long he tosses and turns in his bed, no matter how much he closes his eyes and tries to empty his mind, he just can't sleep. It's early, much too early to be awake, and definitely too early to have his phone pressed against his ear, listening to the ringing tone while he quietly mouths "please, please, please" over and over again.

"Hello?" A ragged, familiar voice echoes through the device and Jungkook sighs  in relief.

"Hyung," he breathes out. "Hyung, how are you?"

"I'm good, Kookie, but it's four o'clock. Why are you calling so late? Are you alright?"

"Yeah. I'm... I'm fine, just... I'm fine." Jungkook whispers, shivering slightly when a cold breeze brushes against his skin. "Someone ratted out one of my guys."

There's silence for a few seconds, then Jungkook hears rustling.

"Do you know who it is?" Junghyun responds, now sounding fully awake.

"I'm almost sure it's Lee Donghyuk. I need all the info you can get on him, I don't care what it takes to get it. He's in protective custody until his release and I want him punished for what he did so that he knows not to open his mouth before he's out. If he snitched on one of my guys, there's no reason why he wouldn't do the same for me."

"Donghyuk? You mean that dumb kid from block V who tried to fuck you over when he first got there?" Junghyun asks, and his brother responds with a hum. "Didn't you teach him a lesson a couple months ago? Why would he only talk now?"

"It... happened again."

Jungkook can almost see Junghyun's eyebrows knotting through the phone.

"What did? Did he try to steal your drugs again?" He questions.

"No, he just happened to be an obstacle to something I wanted."

"You know, Kookie, if you want me to help you're gonna have to be a little more precise 'cause I'm getting old and not as good at riddles as I used to be." Junghyun sighs.

"Fine," Jungkook breathes out. "He was someone's cellmate. And I needed that someone moved to my cell. He is now like a few feet away from me so I can't really talk that much about him. Look, can you come see me at visitation tomorrow?"

"I'll come today. As a business partner." Junghyun says firmly. "You be careful with who you trust, Kookie."

Jungkook turns around and leans back on the window, the cold steel of the bars on his skin sending a chill down his spine. His gaze falls on the man peacefully sleeping in the bottom bunk, hair curling over his eyes and lips parted around soft snores. Jungkook crouches down near the bunk and as if drawn to the older man, his hand instinctively comes to rest on his cheek, drawing circles delicately with the pad of his thumb on Taehyung's pretty skin.

"Hyung?" He calls over the phone.

"Yeah?"

Jungkook inhales sharply when Taehyung hums under his touch and brings his hand up to rest on top of his in a motion too slow and imprecise to be conscious.

"Whatever you do to Lee Donghyuk," Jungkook leans in and presses his forehead against Taehyung's, eyes closed, breathing him in, lips hovering over his. "Make it quick and painless."