ONE

Act I

Sapphire Flame  -  Yasmeen J.

   "Mutt!" 

   The young ebony-skinned toddler exclaimed with joy, pausing the long playdate between her and her toys. A small grunt left her as she struggled slightly to stand on her short legs. She raced towards the large, dog-like creature with a smile of pure happiness.

   The creature stood on four strong legs, at least six feet taller than the child. 

   "Hi, Mutt!" she greeted, reaching up to run her tiny fingers through the thick black fur on its upper leg, for that's all she could reach. 

   The creature, who had stood still until then, peered down at the smiling child then brought its head down to her eye level and rubbed his cheek against hers gently, causing her to giggle and wrap her small arms around its head just barely hugging the large creature.

   "I missed you too, Mutt!! Can you take me for a run?! Please?! Please! Please!"

   Mutt pulled back from her and tilted his head to the side in a doubtful matter. She poked her little lip out and frowned. 

   "Please," she pleaded softly, widening her glassy eyes.

   He lifted his head once again to glance at the back porch where the child's irresponsible babysitter sat slumped on the porch swing in a deep sleep. He looked back at the pouting girl and hesitantly lowered his body onto the ground next to her. Her face instantly lit up, and her frown turned into a wide grin. 

   "Yay!" She eagerly mounted his back, locking her fingers within his fur as she bounced with excitement. 

   "Ready!"

   He rose slowly to his feet, turned to face the woods, and began to trot toward the mass of tall trees. 

   "Faster Mutt!!" she urged him. 

   Following her orders, which he found himself doing more often than not, he broke out into a full sprint. The child screamed with laughter as her friend took her on a small and aimless adventure.

   The beast lay calmly on the ground, watching the child as she chased a butterfly of white across the plain field of dry grass. Warm wind blowing through his mane, paws tucked beneath his head, his body laid comfortably stomach first, he watched her with full adoration in his eyes. 

   When her high-pitched laughter filled his ears he could feel nothing but a warmth within him. He knew that as she grew older and into the most beautiful and intelligent woman he knew she would become, he would be at her command at all times. Ready to grovel at her feet, ready to obey her every command, ready to sacrifice any and everything for her even his life. He would even die for her.

   Lost in his thoughts of her, he didn't notice her pouting sadly by a round rose bush. Concern instantly washed over him when he realized and he instantly jumped to his feet, rushing towards her. His face mirrored her sadness once they were face to face. 

   The child's eyes rose to meet him before she spoke, "I can't catch the pretty butterfly, Mutt." 

   She slowly pointed up toward the bush, where the butterfly calmly sat while slowly flapping its beautiful wings.

   Mutt, now relieved of worry, glanced up at the insect. He didn't fully understand her childish interest in it. Maybe it was its eye-catching wings, maybe its gracefulness, its lack of worry about what its fate could turn out to be. Either way, she wanted it, therefore he would obey her.