FOUR

Sapphire Flame  -  Yasmeen J.

   A lot had happened just within the last twenty-four hours and Kaena was still trying to comprehend everything. It all was a lot to take in. Asking her to leave everything she had behind to go with him to an entirely different 'realm' that she didn't even know was real for sure, was too much.

   "I know I'm asking a lot of you, but I promise you, you'll be protected at all times--"

   "This is crazy!" she interjected loudly. "Do you have any idea what you're asking me?! What you're telling me?! God, what the fuck is happening?! What f-fucking creatures?! What the fuck is Aedezia!" She began to freak out.

   "Kaena you have to understand that you'll be safer with me and I can't stay here very long. If I could I wouldn't ask you to leave and I wouldn't expect you to believe anything I say, but everything I do is for your safety."

   A hard knock at the door silenced him from going on. Both their heads turned to it. Kaena made the move to stand, but before she could even blink again he was gone and the door was opening.

   She jumped up from the sofa, darting towards the door. When she got there Renée was standing there, a tight black dress around her petite body, black heels on her tiny feet, with her purse hanging on the crook of her arm, and a phone in the other hand.

   He looked her up and down suspiciously. He couldn't help it. 

   "Uh, and who the hell are you?" she said, placing a hand on her hip. 

   "Renée," called Kaena. "What are you doing here?" she asked, walking up to her. 

   "Well," she began, stepping inside confidently, her heels clicking against the hardwood. "We have a lot of work to do today. We need to get to the office like now."

   "Oh shit!" she groaned. "I completely forgot about that meeting today." During their exchange, Griffin stood watching the two women carefully. 

   "And uh... Who's this?" Renée gestured to him, squinting her eyes.

   "Oh, right. This is Mu- uh-- well...-um--"

   "Griffin," he announced.

   "R-right... G-Griffin. Griffin this is Renée, my assistant."

   She said nothing and continued to stare him down

   "Um, I need to take a shower and then we can go," she said to her. "I'll be in the car then." She looked Griffin up and down one more time before walking back outside, shutting the door behind her.

   She cleared her throat, "I'll go get ready."

   "Kaena wait." He reached out and grabbed her arm before she could walk away. "Please... Think about what I've said."

   She didn't reply just nodded her head, pulling away from him gently.

   She let out a long-awaited breath when she got alone. She turned on the scorching hot shower water before dropping the robe and removing her underwear. Only now was she starting to feel the effects of the night before. The scratches on her arms and face began to burn slightly and her bones felt stiff and sore. She stepped into the heat of the shower. She thought furthermore about the things he said as he asked.

<><^><>

   "She needs to know, Dean," said the woman pacing around the bedroom, her voice sounding hoarse but still sharp. "She's too young and you know it," the tall dark-skinned man retorted. After hearing the yelling and screaming coming from her parent's room, Kaena's curious little heart led her to the outside of their door where she listened intently.