NINE

Sapphire Flame  -  Yasmeen J.

   "It's so stupid..."

   Kaena twiddled the stem of a dandelion puff between her fingers as she stared into the tall trees of the forest. They sat in their usual spot in the middle of the field of grass, Mutt lying on his stomach with her leaning back on him.

   "Come with us," she insisted suddenly, turning to him. Mutt faced her slowly, his eyes speaking to her.

   "Why not?"

   He didn't answer and only lay his head back down on his paws. She sucked her teeth in frustration. It was the third time he had ignored her request.

   "Ya know... After the other night, I didn't think you'd be that much of a dick about this..."

   Mutt let out a beastly growl to show his frustration and Kaena only rolled her eyes. "

   You are!" she yelled. "You made it seem like you were upset and didn't want me to go! But now I tell you to come with me and you ignore me!" 

   She crossed her arms. "Do you even really care?"

   She felt him shift behind her and soon they were face to face. Kaena, brows scrunched in anger with arms tightly around her. Mutt, staring back with harsh silver.

   Then his forehead collided with hers gently. Her face only softened a little but she still wasn't having any of it. "No," she refused stubbornly but couldn't make herself pull away. "I hate you..." He knew by that she meant, 'I love you'. It made him smile internally.

    A wretched scream pierced both their ears causing them to pull away in fright. The scream came from the distance, beyond the trees. From her home. 

   Kaena stood up quickly. "What was that?"

   Mutt came up from behind, his stance was defensive and his expression thoughtful. He grunted a command to Kaena as he proceeded forward. 

   "What? I'm not staying here, I wanna go," she affirmed.

   When she tried to advance past him he pushed her away and snarled. She jumped away in slight fear, she had never seen him look so savage even when was angry with her.

   "Don't... don't do that at me again," she commanded shakily. "I'm. Going."

   She tried again and he shoved her again, causing her to stumble back and fall to the ground. Mutt stood over her, looking as if he would rip her throat out if she moved a muscle, his sharp teeth bared and his silver eyes suddenly darker than usual.

    Stay. Here.

   He then turned and darted out into the wood. 

   Despite the danger she knew he was protecting her from, she couldn't help but feel like something more was wrong. She couldn't risk that being her parents. So she soon mustered the courage to run after him.

   Her worst nightmare had come true. 

   The heat was so intense even from where she stood sweat began to trickle down her forehead and off her jaw. The harsh thick smoke went through her nose to fill her lungs. Mutt was gone and she yearned for him to be by her side. To show her they were okay. It was all a dream. It wasn't hell unleashed on her reality.