SIXTEEN

Sapphire Flame  -  Yasmeen J.

Unknown

   "Welcome home, phexus."

   Kaena awoke to the voice of her friend. For a second in her haze, she'd forgotten everything that'd happened. Her legs brushed against the harsh ground when she moved, she groaned a little while her eyelids struggled to lift. She went to move her arms to find them bound over her head in what felt like shackles, which was confirmed by the rattle of chains when she did.

   "Who are you?" she mumbled, lifting her head until it came against the wall behind her.

   "That isn't important now, phexus. I'm not here to hurt you, only to give you information."

   Kaena finally was able to open her eyes and in front of her was what looked a little like the real Renee. Her skin was ghastly and pale. She was dressed in a modern skin-tight long-sleeve dress, a familiar piece of jewelry wrapped around her neck.

   Anger began to build in her chest. "Take that off."

   She peered down and touched the sapphire jewel. She smirked then looked back at her as she ripped it off and then crushed it in her hand.

   She held out her hand and let the pieces fall at Kaena's feet.

   "NO!" she screamed and shot up with the little strength she had. "My mother gave that to me!" She tried to charge at her but the chains stopped her. The being was just out of reach.

   "What do you want with me?" she asked through gritted teeth. Her legs grew weak again and she fell to her knees, still glaring at her.

   It tilted its head. "Truthfully, your help... to usurp the lycan king."

   "And why would I help you do that?"

   "Well, I would think you'd want to help take down the man who killed your family and ruined your perfect little life."

   "What the hell are you talking about?"

   "Your chosen, your precious mate, your mutt... killed your parents. Alongside his savage father."

   "You're a lying bitch."

   "Listen... and think child. I know you don't know much about his past or even remember much from that day. But it is the truth. Remember that little message your mother left you? The prophecy? Well, your parents hated it, they didn't want that for you. But others needed you and that prophecy, like Griffin and his father and the people of Aedezia.

   "It would make sense they'd have to get rid of the only two people keeping you from fulfilling it. Because you see, you were meant to be born in Aedezia, grow and marry the prince, and rule finely until the day the dark lord would come and destroy you, or you him. Sealing the safety and immortality of Aedezia and its people. Your parents had already destroyed half of the prophecy, they couldn't let them take the rest and let Aedezia die."

   "Cute story. Why should I believe anything you say? You won't even tell me your name or where you came from. You came into my house and tried to kill me! You're probably just another Defiant. So fuck you!"

   "If I had tried to kill you, your deserted soul would be floating down the Styx right now."

   "Why would I believe your lies about the same man that has protected me all this time? You're pathetic."

   "So is your reasoning. But you don't have to trust me, in fact, you shouldn't but I'd find it hard to doubt these."

   Her hand started to glow and she started to approach her. Kaena writhed in her chains trying to scoot away from her.