SIX

Sapphire Flame  -  Yasmeen J.

   Kaena had been awake for about an hour. Just lying on her side facing a blank wall while running her fingers lightly over the sheet she rested on. She resented the urge to get up from the bed and confront the remaining mysteries of the situation. 

   She didn't know how long she was asleep but she felt a lot better than before, energy replaced exhaustion and the body pain had faded. She sat up halfway, her elbow supporting her weight. She blankly gazed around the tight-spaced room, well, more like a chamber. It looked like the inside of the tower straight out of the Rapunzel fairytale.

   Mutt was gone, the spot he once sat now cold from his absence. Her bare feet touched the floor sending a shiver up her legs. She stood up slowly and began trailing throughout the chamber, carefully inspecting her surroundings. It was empty besides the bed and the table a few feet away. There was also a door directly across the room but before she went to leave she approached the short pile of clothes that sat on the table on the opposite side of the room.

   Kaena picked up the simple black long sleeve shirt and the pair of matching pants that she assumed were left for her due to them being her exact size, so she went to untie the strap around her waist which held up the robe she wore, dropping it to the floor. 

   The chilling air hit her bare skin. She slipped on the clothes fast before quickly making her way to the door. It was a brown medieval-like door with a ring for a handle. There was a pair of shoes sitting nearby, which she slipped on and they also fit perfectly.

   She gripped the ring then pulled to be greeted by dozens of stairs going down then rounding off a corner. Her heel clicked as she carefully stepped a foot down, the sound bouncing off the stone walls. She descended down the tight spiral staircase to the doorway at the end of it, her mouth dropping in amazement as she walked through and into the hall scanning the palace in awe.

   She heard faint voices coming from the other side of a door at the end of the hall, interrupting her racing thoughts. She pursed her lips together in thought, contemplating whether or not to investigate. She decided to follow them before pressing her ear against the door and listening.

   "This clan has been planning against us for some time now, I don't understand why are these idiots so important to you now?" asked a strong feminine voice. 

   "For one, I know for a fact they're getting stronger and bolder and that can't continue. Plus... They've gone after Kaena and I can't risk her safety again," Griffin spoke.

   "What happened?" Everyone in the room asked in unison. Griffin proceeded to explain the events that took place in the last eventful two and a half days.

   "Well," another strong voice started, "For now, I say we need to keep you and your mate safe, Cya's already doubled the security around the palace even though we all know they can't get through the portals but we need the precaution." 

   They were talking about the mysterious people who attacked her and that they might come back. She couldn't wait to ask Griffin who these people were and figure out the true details. Her curiosity was eating her alive.

   "Kaena?" She heard her name behind her unexpectedly resulting in her instinctively jumping away in fear, falling against the door which swung open and caused her to lose balance and hit the ground, now inside the room. 

   "I'm just gettin' fucked up left and right," she groaned. 

   Griffin rushed to her immediately, helping her back up to her feet while the others stared on.