SEVEN

Sapphire Flame  -  Yasmeen J.

The Mortal Realm

   Renèe paced around the empty house. The place her lone friend once occupied. She hadn't slept in days, she refused to do so until she saw her again. She just disappeared without a trace and that drove her into mild insanity. She knew nothing, the cops knew nothing, their coworkers knew nothing. She was just gone. The day she disappeared she was with him. The stranger that looked at her with the fondness of a smitten lovesick puppy. 

   Her hands trembled with anxiousness as she waited and waited for the knock that would come at the door in a matter of minutes. While the time passed, she looked at the area. Studied it. She then began roaming the halls of the place, noticing that she never really paid much attention to how Kaena lived. The place always stayed spotless; Not a thing out of place. 

   Renèe felt tears beginning to well as she thought about her friend. A lonesome woman with no family and no friends besides herself, she had nothing but her money, job, and luxurious apartment. 

   "My parents died years ago, I grew up in a home," she had told her, "I've never liked being around people after it happened." 

   She found herself wondering in her bedroom, looking over the things that were out of place. Her work clothes spread out on the floor in her bathroom, her bedsheets ruffled and messed up, and what caught her eye was a box sitting on her dresser. It was opened and necklace chains fell over the sides and rings and bracelets laid out around it. 

   Kaena never wore jewelry, she said necklaces gave her rashes and she didn't like the way rings felt. Renèe walked over to it, reaching her hand inside. She curiously raided it finding the usual, silver stud earrings, gold bracelets, even a pair of sunglasses. 

   When she got to the bottom she almost walked away when she saw another necklace. She picked it and held it in front of her. It stood out from the rest, with its shimmering silver chain and the deep sapphire blue framed diamond at the end of it. 

   Kaena owned a lot of expensive things but nothing as expensive as this looked. There was also something odd about it, it had an aura. A powerful one.

   The knock came at the door causing her to jump. Her hand went to her chest as she caught the breath she had nearly lost. The detective, she reminded herself. She exited the bedroom but didn't drop the piece of jewelry, tucking it away in her pocket. Before she could get to the door she stopped before passing the living room, seeing something white sitting beside the sofa. Going to pick it up she heard the knock again but ignored it as she continued. Using her index finger and thumb, she raised the clothing up showing that it was Kaena's blouse. Stained with blood.

<><^><>

The Realm of Aedezia

   Griffin sat bored on his throne. Instead of going back to Kaena after the meeting like he wanted to, he had to attend to the duties he fell behind on. Edric and Val stood on either side of the throne beside him. Griffin awaited the next person to walk through the doors of the throne room to beg or complain about something idiotic. 

   "This is ridiculous," Griffin whined anxiously. "Can't one of you take over?" He made a move to stand from the chair. Val's hand shot down to grip his shoulder to shove him back into his seat.