FOURTEEN

Sapphire Flame  -  Yasmeen J.

   "I just need you to talk to her."

   Akantha scoffed, inspecting her nails rather than looking at Griffin. "Look, I can't convince the woman to do anything she doesn't want to and you need to stop trying to as well. If she doesn't want to, leave it be."

   "Akantha you know I can't do that."

   She gave him a sharp glare. "Yes, you can. You're just stubborn and when you can't get what you want right away you call me to do your dirty work."

   "I've never done that," he denied, tiredly.

   She placed her hands on her hips. "Where is she now?"

   Griffin looked over his shoulder at the empty stairs. "Sleeping."

   "So now you're keeping secrets?"

   "No! That's not-" He sighed. "That's not what this is. Just come here... please?"

   Akantha folded her arms, her hesitation and annoyance clear through the misty reflection of the mirror atop Kaena's living room mantel. "I'm beginning to think that you believe that all the women in your life have to do all your dirty work... or work in general."

   "How do you figure that?"

   "Well, firstly, you have me do everything when it comes to talking to Kaena, which is not my job considering the fact I'm not fucking her or plan to. Then you have Cya and Val running your kingdom and its affairs back home, but like the queens that they are, they do it greatly as possible. Still not their jobs though."

   "You know I don't mean to push things on you all."

   "Well yes, I can presume that but your actions tell another tale."

   "I'm... I'm sorry."

   "As you should be. But you know apologies are trivial to me. Maybe Cya and Val will do well with them, along with a pat on the back would be nice I'm sure."

   "Alright alright. You'll be here though?"

   "Fine. I'll be there early mortal hours. But I can't promise a damned thing about convincing her."

   "Ok... Thank you Akantha."

   "Don't thank me eitherThank your court as I said, they're ruling your kingdom while you're here frolicking around like a lovesick puppy."

   "Lovesick puppy? You know, I thought you'd understand at least a little bit... considering the fact that you did a couple of nonsensical things to persuade Brandon to stay with you."

   "That was different."

   "You're right. You kidnapped him."

   "Tsk. Circumstantial. Subjective, even."

   "Yeah sure. I'll see you tomorrow."

<><^><>

   "I honestly can't wait to see her," Kaena said after taking a sip of coffee. 

   "I have it all planned out. It's been forever since I've had a girl's day with anyone, you know Renee hasn't been coming around anymore... My first time back at it is with a vampire with too much fashion sense for any species to handle..." 

   She shrugged and giggled. "It's gonna be fun."

   Griffin finished placing his hair in a neat bun on the top of his head as he faced her. She was sitting on top of the island counter looking off into space as she spoke.