Chapter 3

Sophie

After peeking through Andrew's peephole to make sure the hallway is clear, I quickly dash across the hall and into my room. I set the small bottles on the table with the hotel stationary and room service menu. My head is a bit fuzzy still, but I can't quite figure out where the buzz from the alcohol stops and the intoxication of being so close to Andrew starts. This is completely unexpected.

I've been around Andrew before, years ago when I was dating Evan, but never had his voice settled so low in my gut and his touch cause goose bumps to climb up my limbs. Maybe it's just the alcohol, but there was definitely something different about the way his eyes were looking at me. I felt like he was suddenly everywhere, his presence a welcomed warmth on my skin.

My mind flashes back to all the innocent encounters I had with him over the years. We had been at the same parties, shared many of the same friends and yet this is the first time I felt like he truly connected with me as someone other than my boyfriend's best friend. I like it. Maybe I shouldn't, but tonight it felt good to have him here with me. Lots of people in the wedding party know my history with the groom, but Andrew seems to understand how hard coming here was even if I'm trying to pretend like it isn't the hardest thing I've ever had to endure.

Closing my eyes and blowing out a deep breath, I lie back on the bed and let the sleep I had been putting off finally take me. I know I'm destined to have nightmares about my time with Evan like I had for a full year after we broke up. I'm pleasantly surprised when there are no nightmares and instead dreams of Andrew fill my mind. I let his hands touch me and feel the heat from his skin on mine until I think I can't take the increasing tension building between us. Instead of reaching that moment I so desperately need where he finally puts his strong lips to mine, I awake to the sound of my cell alarm ringing from beside me on the bed.

With a groan and a hard pounding inside my skull, I open one scratchy eye to see it's time to get ready for the brunch I need to be at in an hour. A hot shower does little to make me relax as the thought of seeing Rachel and all of the women that know our history makes my stomach flip and roll. I lather my skin in my favorite vanilla and gardenia lotion I brought to remind myself that California is only a few days away. Of course that takes no time at all compared to how long it takes to blow dry my hair.

When I finally have my make-up on, I take a step back and long look in the mirror. I tell myself I can do this. I decide my lack of sleep and the red in the whites of my eyes makes me appear a little harsh, so I opt to curl my hair in an attempt to soften my look. By the time I slip my short lavender dress on I'm almost late. I tug the hem down after pulling on my wedges and grab my purse.

I hesitate for just a second before hitting the bright button to call the elevator. I still have time to back out of this. I know it would make me a royal bitch to ditch my friend and abandon my duties as her bride's maid, but maybe I never needed to really come back here anyway. The sound of the elevator doors opening startles me and my eyes race up to see who it's delivering to my floor. If it's someone from the wedding then my last chance to slip away from this whole thing is gone.

His eyes meet mine and his face softens as he steps out of the elevator. He smiles slightly, but then I guess the panic on my face has him second-guessing his initial reaction. "Good morning, Sophie." Andrew stands in front of me as I try to stop the spinning of thoughts through my mind.

Before I can stop myself I blurt out softly, "I'm trying to decide if I want to do this." His eyes stay trained on mine and he nods his head slowly as the doors to the elevator close behind him and it leaves to pick up another rider. I realize what I've shared and laugh without humor, pressing my palm to my forehead and looking away from him. His hand reaches out and takes my wrist, pulling my hand back down to my side.