⪻ 14 ⪼

This chapter is dedicated to: Little-Frog! Thank you for reading both my stories and enjoying them!!!

As always, make sure to comment and vote xx

⪻⪻⪼⪼

Black. A swarm of black is all I can see. It's the darkest colour in our universe, absorbing all light until only a swipe of nothingness can be seen. It can be associated with power, insecurity, fear, and death of all things. The dreaded colour was once a favorite of mine, before the phase went out of style like mom-jeans.

Before, when I saw black all I could see was a sleek new vehicle or the curtains that I used to own. There was something so reminiscent about the colour, even with it's mystery and power. I never saw the colour to be truly pessimistic, only as that one different kid at school who seems a bit odd but is actually quite grand.

Now when I see the colour black, all I can see is terror, death, and sadness. Upon closing your eyes it's all you see, but for me it's just the blank screen before the tragic memory plays on like a film in the cinema. Even with eyes open on days like today, there's no escaping the darkness and sorrow the colour brings. I find myself hating myself for ever thinking the colour was "cool".

In the time since waking this morning to a clouded sky and rain droplets falling as if there was no tomorrow, I've heard the words I'm sorry for your losses a million times over. Not even my house was safe from those five words. The telephone rang and it was a distant friend of me mum's, apologizes for our loss and not being able to be in attendance of the funeral. Then from the first step from the house, it was the only thing that Edward and I heard.

The funeral itself dragged on for a terribly long time. I say that only because for the guests it was a time to not only mourn, but to witness a young adult and a child breakdown before their very eyes. Edward cried harder than I had expected him too, even rushing up to the caskets at one point to just sit before them and cry. I felt the need to keep myself together, but how can you when your parents are being lowered into the ground and your brother is in a screaming fit.

"I need you to take him" I had said to Niall, who felt the need to join even having never met my two wonderful parents. Without question he had scooped the boy up off the ground and held him tightly until the heavy breathing was the only sound that could ever be heard.

And the sickest part? The few guests that were in attendance just stood back and watched in silence, judging with their eyes and throwing pity as if it were shade. They didn't know what to say and how could they?

As Niall had comforted by brother when I couldn't, I stood before the cemetery workers, watching as they filled the two holes. The guests didn't stick around during the act, politely scampering off after telling me to stop by or call if we needed anything. Where were they when mum and dad were alive?

Shovelful after shovelful I watched until the tops of the caskets could no longer be seen and the only coulour then could be seen was brown.

In Loving Memory of:

Jacqueline Rose Chambers and Philip Michael Chambers

From my peripheral vision, I could see him approaching my side. He wore black dress pants and black leather shoes, pairing the bottom ensemble with a classic white button-up and sleek blazer. His hands were dug deep in his pockets and his eyes were cast to the floor.

I hadn't asked him to come, but there was no need. He and I both knew that I needed him here today, our newfound friendship the only brightness in such a dark time.

Plus, he had been living on the sofa in our lounge for such a long time that it would be almost rude not allow him to tag along.

He didn't say much and for that I'm grateful. He stayed by our side, him and Niall both, keeping watchful eye on Edward and I as we mourned. All I needed was the comfort of someone at such a sorrowful time.