⪻ 57 ⪼

because I'm an awful human who keeps posting late... here's an early update for hitting over 100k reads xx

⪻⪻⪼⪼

After the nightmare scare last night, I didn't drift off to sleep so easily. I dozed off once or twice, but at four in the morning I decided enough was enough. After getting ready in the dark, I made my way to the bakery, leaving behind a note on my pillow, letting Harry know that I hadn't been kidnapped. Every moment I couldn't sleep was a moment I was wasting not getting to work.

We open tomorrow and there is still far too much to do. The bakery itself is magnificent, looking fresh with the beautiful light pink Harry painted the interior of the shopfront and the set-up he and I spent a week trying to perfect. I purchased a few chairs and tables for customers to linger, if they do wish to do so. Whilst the bakery is done, it doesn't mean that my work is.

"You're here early." The low voice behind me, sends the spatula flying out of my hands in fright and batter to fling onto the countertop, maybe even a little on myself. Spinning around on my toes I see Harry standing at the edge of the kitchen with his hands held up in surrender.

"God, you scared me."

"Sorry, love, but I think we're equal." Harry tells me, causing my eyebrows to furrow. I don't recall scaring him. "You scared me when I woke up and you weren't in the flat this morning."

Oh.

"I left a note." I say, turning around to pick the spatchula off the floor before walking towards the sink to wash it. The last thing I need is there to be germs in my sweets, then no one will want to come by. "I knew if I woke you up and told you where I was off to, you'd hold me hostage." Harry shrugs, chuckling to himself as he comes further into the kitchen.

Early mornings are my favourite with Harry, at least when he's home. When he isn't on call, I set an alarm twenty minutes before I have to get up just so him and I can have some quiet time, whether it be for cuddling, talking, or all of the above. When I do eventually try to leave the bed, Harry wraps his arms around my waist and holds me to him, not letting me go until I've threatened him in some way.

Aren't we cute?

"You're probably right."

"Did Edward get to school alright?" I wonder, peering over at Harry as he walks over to the batter I was mixing when he scared me.

"Just dropped him off."

Whilst Harry's schedule hasn't lessened in the slightest, I've been finding it's a good fit for us. It took a couple weeks of adjustment, but I'm getting used to him crawling into bed after not seeing him for over twenty-four hours, leaving me in the middle of the night for emergencies, and his crashing from exhaustion in the middle of the day when he is off of work.

"Thank you. I wasn't planning on coming in this early, but I really couldn't sleep after what happened and there's just too much to do." I mutter, looking towards Harry and leaning back against the counter. I catch Harry just as he's about to stick his finger in the bowl of brownie batter. "Don't do that, you'll contaminate the mixture." I nearly yell in his direction.

"With what?"

"Your gross man cooties." Harry pouts as I walk over to him and pull his hands away from the bowl. Like a magnet appearing in thin air , his own hands are around my waist in an instant and his lips are on mine. A part of me knew that the only reason he was about to stick his grimy hands into one of my batter mixtures was to get a rouse out of me.

"I knew that would work." He admits, holding me close and showing no signs of letting go.

"If you wanted a cuddle, all you had to do was ask." I whisper, standing on my tiptoes and pecking his soft, luscious lips. He chuckles lightly and pulls away, resting his forehead against mine and peering down at me with those emerald eyes.