Lost Memories

Dean didn't tell his brother about the phone call from his father the night before. He wasn't sure what the phone call even meant. All he was sure of, was that he needed to protect Lilly and he needed to figure out how she knows his father.

The brothers weren't the type to skip meals, so they took advantage of the free breakfast the hotel offered. As they sat in the exquisite ballroom, a few other guest sat in tables around them. The brothers sat, and conversed about the coven they encountered the night before and the mysterious Lilly Brookshire. They were so in depth with their conversation, they didn't notice the rest of the people at the tables slowly clearing out. But, Dean did notice when Lilly walked out of the kitchen doors. For the first time since they arrived, he didn't see her as a threat. Instead, he found himself slightly attracted to the women. He liked the black pencil skirt she wore and the black heels that clicked against the old wood floors. Her long curly hair hung freely down her back and she lined her eyes with a little bit of makeup, making them look more green than before.

"Hey Jude, don't let me down. You have found her, now go and get her. Remember to let her into your heart, then you can start to make it better..." Lilly quietly sang as she cleared off the table next to the brothers. The song choice made Dean's heart skip a beat. It was a song he knew all too well.

"Can you look into those girls from last night? I'll talk to Lilly," Dean said, completely interrupting whatever Sam was saying. He didn't hesitate to stand and walk towards the women, leaving Sam with a confused look on his face.

Lilly saw the Winchester's quietly sitting at the table but she didn't notice Dean approaching her, she was too lost in her own thoughts as she cleared the tables. Thoughts containing John, and her own father, and her mother. Memories swam through her head of the Winchester brothers, the times they played hide and seek in the hotel or them playing tag outside. Sadness washed through her as she remembered that the men didn't have those memories anymore.

"Hey Jude?" Dean said causing Lilly to jump and drop the dirty dishes from her hands onto the floor. She looked at Dean and smiled before bending down and collecting the plates. To her surprise, Dean followed her motions and helped collect the plates. "My mom used to sing that," he told her. Little did he know, she already knew that.

"My mom did too," she said with a smile as she took a fork from Dean's hand and stood up.

"How do you know my dad?" He asked once he stood and towered over her. Lilly sighed and bit her lip as she looked over Dean's face. She smiled gently and held up her index finger before turning to the kitchen.

Dean waited patiently for Lilly to walk out of the kitchen. A small family entered the ballroom and began to fill their plates with food from the buffet. Luckily, Lilly wasn't in the kitchen longer than a few minutes. She smiled sweetly at the family as she walked by.

"We should talk in my office," she said quietly to Dean as she nodded towards the, now, occupied table. She didn't wait for Dean to respond before walking past him and leading the way to her office.

Lilly's office was located on the first floor, down a short, dark hallway. She used an old skeleton key to unlock the door and walked inside. The motion sensor lights flickered on as she stepped inside and waited for Dean to walk in before closing the door. Dean was in awe when he saw the beautiful room. Books and antiques lined the shelves and covered all the tables.

"You're dad used to stay here when he had work nearby. Him and my mom worked on a few cases together," Lilly said as Dean glanced around the room and eyed each book and object. Lilly grabbed a book from her shelf and sat at her desk before flipping to a certain page. Dean continued to look around the room but stopped dead in his tracks when he noticed a framed picture sitting on a small table by the window. He picked up the frame and looked over the picture. He was about 14 and Sam was about 10. They had their arms wrapped around each other and wide smiles on their faces. A weeping willow tree with a heart and the initials 'LB' carved into it, sat behind them.

"Where'd you get this?" Dean asked suddenly. Lilly's head snapped up to see the golden frame resting in Dean's hand.

"Oh... uh... I'm not really sure. Your dad probably gave it to my mom," she lied. The truth was, she took the picture. It was a few days after her 13th birthday and her parents had just gotten her a new camera. She was so excited, she made the boys pose for her almost all day while she took hundreds of pictures of them. That one in the frame, was always her favorite. It was the only picture she took that day, where the smiles were actually genuine and not forced.

"I don't remember this," Dean mumbled to himself but Lilly heard anyway. Of course he didn't remember, that's the way it's supposed to be. "You said your mom worked cases with my dad?" He asked as he gently placed the frame back on the table and turned toward the women sitting at the desk. She looked up and nodded lightly before turning her gaze back to the book in front of her. "How did that work? My dad doesn't really like witches."

"My mom wasn't a witch, she was a hunter. My dad was a warlock. Kinda like a twisted version of Romeo and Juliet," Lilly laughed gently without looking back up. Dean reached to grab an old, jeweled goblet. "Don't touch that," Lilly added, still not looking up.

"Is that... is that the holy grail?" Dean asked. Lilly chuckled lightly.

"Yup, got it from God himself," she giggled as she spoke and Dean looked at her, shocked and confused. "Jesus, I'm kidding. It's a family heirloom." Lilly mumbled a few words in Latin to herself before gently closing the book.

"What the hell was that mumbo-jumbo?" Dean asked angrily.

"I was memorizing a spell," she told him truthfully, but, he looked at her suspiciously. "It's basically like a magic blocker. Once I cast it, no one within a thirty mile radius will be able to use any magic, unfortunately that includes me. It only lasts for about an hour but that will be plenty of time to deal with Sasha and her little minions. Right?" She explained and Dean nodded with approval.

Lilly led Dean out of the office and locked the door as he walked to his room and she went back to her hotel duties. Dean opened the door to his hotel room and saw Sam sitting at the table in front of his laptop.

"So that Sasha girl is interesting. Her parents mysteriously died fifteen years ago. Guess how," Sam said as Dean closed the room door.

"Brain aneurysms?" Dean asked. Sam nodded in response. "What about Lilly?"

"Graduated top of her class, got a full ride to Duke but never went. Her mom was murdered when she was 17 and her dad died of a heart attack when she was 18. After he died, she stayed here and took care of this place," Sam added.

"I found a picture of you and me from when we were kids in Lilly's office. She said she couldn't remember where it came from but there was a weeping willow tree behind us," Dean added.

"Like the one out front?" Sam asked turning his focus from the computer and to his brother.

"I'm pretty sure it was the one out front. Weird thing is, I don't remember taking that picture or ever being here."

"Yeah, I don't either," Sam shook his head as he spoke. The boys couldn't put the pieces together. Dean couldn't figure out how his dad was involved and why he couldn't remember coming here before. Sam on the other hand, had a feeling, deep down, that Lilly meant a lot to all of the Winchester's, but he didn't know why he was feeling this way.