Prologue

EDITED

Prologue

"No! Die!" I shouted angrily at the game screen, completely absorbed in the video game I was playing. I violently jammed the joystick to the right, trying to kill the groaning zombies invading my vision. I'd yet to beat this level, but if I just tried a bit harder, I could surely do it.

Multicoloured lights flashed all around me, advertising many other different games, but I preferred the one I was currently playing.

In the back of my mind, I was dimly aware of someone stepping on my toe, but I didn't really care. I didn't really need that toe.

Suddenly, a large, rough hand landed on my shoulder, moving my arm and killing my character on the video game screen. I jumped, and whipped around, thoroughly annoyed.

My eyes met those of a large man with jet black hair and sea-coloured eyes, indistinguishable between blue and green. The strange man before me sighed in relief, seeming thankful to have found me. I wasn't even aware that he'd been looking, probably because I'd never seen the man before in my life.

"Adara," He said, with absolutely no form of introduction or apology for killing me. "We must leave immediately." He had a powerful voice, but it was also oddly comforting, a combination I wouldn't think likely.

"No," I protested adamantly, still clutching the joystick tightly behind my back. "But my game!"

The man's eyebrows furrowed. He muttered something along the lines of "the effect... so powerful" and then guided me towards the door, his hand on the small of my back and keeping me from turning around. I didn't want to leave my game, but the man had an air of authority I didn't really want to mess with.

We wound our way through dancing people, other games, and waitresses holding trays of flowers, and the man shoved through crowds with apparent annoyance. The manager standing at the front door uttered something that I didn't quite catch in an attempt to stop us from leaving, but the powerful man guided me glowered and thundered threateningly, "I am Poseidon! You dare enchant myself and my daughter?!"

The manager shook his head rapidly, taking a few steps away from us and the door. Poseidon smiled wryly, though he was still scowling. Without another word, he held the door open for me before stepping through it himself and letting it slam in the manager's shocked face.

My mind ran over the man's words. "I am Poseidon!"

I was sure I recognized the name, but I just couldn't out my finger on where I has heard it before or who the name belonged to. As if sensing my thoughts, the man said, "Yes, I am Poseidon, but I will explain the rest later."

***