( n i n e )

EDITED

( n i n e )

I let myself sit underneath the waves for only a few minutes longer, knowing I needed time to process everything completely and calm down, but also knowing that I couldn't waste any time. The clock was ticking away.

Finally I pushed up from the sandy floor and broke the surface after a moment or two. The sun was already low in the sky, nearly out of sight, but I could see perfectly fine. The moon was out, and I was in my element (literally).
My hair was, of course, perfectly dry. I was a daughter of Poseidon. Water didn't affect me negatively.

Not yet, a nagging voice said in my mind. Just wait.
I took a deep breath to try to clear my head, and when that didn't work, I dropped back under the surface and manipulated the water to support me a few inches under.

Finally I made the water push me above the surface. I swam slowly back towards shore, which was further than I had originally thought.

I made it quickly back nonetheless (of course) at which point I had no idea what to do. I sort of laid on the waves a foot out, thinking.

The more sane part of me knew that I had to talk to Percy, like, right away. It was only right, and it would probably - hopefully - save our lives. But another, smaller part of me didn't want to talk to him just yet. I didn't know what to say or if he'd even listen to me after I lied to him.

So I was almost thankful when I ran right into Percy.

I had stood up and started walking, only to walk smack dab into Percy, who was wading angrily through the water a few feet from the sand. I don't know how I didn't see him coming, but I was surprised to see him.

"Percy!" I exclaimed.

Percy frowned. "What? What do you want? You knew. You knew Poseidon was your dad, didn't you?" He fired back.

My face caved. "Well, yes," I said, "but wait! Please hear me out! I know you're mad, but there's something I really need to tell you."

"Something bigger than this?" He retorted. "No way."

I nodded. "Please, Percy. It's really important. I need to explain," I begged.

Percy sighed. "Fine," He said. "Just be quick."

I nodded. "Okay. I'm really sorry for not telling you everything, first of all. It was just too complicated.

"But, anyways, I've met Poseidon once, well twice now. When I met him first, I was trapped in the Lotus Hotel and Casino - you know what it is? - and he rescued me. He explained that... well, I'm a daughter of him and Artemis, but I'm not full god, somehow. I was born in ancient times, trapped in the Lotus Casino when I was around sixteen. I was rescued a few weeks ago.

"When Artemis was pregnant with me, she hadn't yet sworn off men. When Poseidon abandoned her, she became a 'maiden' and... she placed a curse on all the children of Poseidon, except it doesn't apply to the immortal children.

"She said that, for each generation, when all the living, mortal children of Poseidon met, the Curse would take affect exactly a week after. The curse... well, it makes water our weakness." Catching Percy's look of blatant disbelief, I hastened forward.

"It's true. She said that water would cause us great pain, and it's as simple as that. We wouldn't be able to touch water, to drink water, without experiencing great pain or even dying. There's no way out of it, unless we can get her to lift the curse before it takes affect."

I took a deep breath and looked at Percy's expression.

"That's... that's insane. That's impossible," He said, "no way."

I bit my lip.

Percy sighed. "But somehow, for some reason, I believe you... sister."

He said the last part tentatively, his green eyes hesitant. I smiled despite the circumstances.

"We need to go then," I said. "Get a quest. A prophecy, is it?"

Percy nodded. "Off we go."

The trek to the Big House was made in silence. We passed by many campers, all of them whispering, obviously about me, but I ignored them.

"Where's Annabeth?" I asked Percy suddenly, before we were quite to the Big House.

"She came after me, but I told her I just wanted to be alone. She understood. I need to talk to her..."

I didn't reply, not knowing how to. I had no experience with dating, obviously. There wasn't much opportunity for it in the middle of the woods, unless you were into rabbits.

Chiron was waiting, in centaur form, on the porch. "Adara," He said gravely, "I should have known."

"Known.. known what?" I asked slowly.

"That you were different. Come. We must talk."

~~~

Once I'd explained everything to Chiron, his eyebrows creased and he said instantly, "so you need a quest?"

I nodded. "Yes. To Artemis, wherever she is."

Chiron coughed. "I believe she is in Florida, at the moment, with her followers," He told us, "but we will address that later. First, you need a prophecy."

"Rachel's cave it is, then," Percy said. "I'll introduce you."

~~~

"So she's completely mortal, but she holds the Spirit of Delphi, so she speaks prophecies," I affirmed.

"Yeah. And she's a redhead."

We arrived at the cave then, Percy rapping on the stone before stepping inside.

A redhead girl looked up from a canvas. "Hi, Percy. You must be Adara?"

Percy waved, and I nodded, not even bothering to ask how she knew who I was. It seemed everyone knew by now.

Remembering Percy's instructions, I cleared my throat and spoke. "I.. um.. need a prophecy. I'd like to know my fate."

Rachel tried to put down her paintbrush, but she collapsed before she could, the wet paint splattering all over her shoes.

Percy caught her before she hit the ground, pulled a three-legged stool from the corner, and plopped her onto it.

Green mist furled from her mouth, and Rachel spoke in a rasping voice.

"Four accompany the daughter of moon and sea,

To the ocean, where maiden shall be.

Among themselves divided,

Though all must stay united.

To live or die, your time is nigh."

A/N: If any of you read my new book, To Walk the Earth, you'll recognise the last line of the prophecy. I kind of used it for this too, with minor modifications. Heh....

-Hunter

The Curse Of Artemis (Percy Jackson Fanfiction) [COMPLETED]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara