( s e v e n )

( s e v e n )

After lunch that day, when I was walking calmly back to the Hermes cabin from mess (at which I grudgingly sat with the Hermes kids), I quite literally ran into some black-haired girl who's face looked painted to the extreme. I was almost to the circle of cabins, only a few steps away from the nearest cabin.

The girl flipped her hair indignantly over her shoulder, huffing liked I'd personally offended her with some great crime. "Excuse me?" She asked sassily, looking like she could bite my head off. Who had peed in her dinner?

I frowned, already irritated by her, though also fascinated. "How do you do that?" I asked curiously, ignoring her attitude. I tried to flip my hair over my shoulder, too, but it ended flapping back onto my face and completely obscuring my vision.

A moment later, the girl (obviously an Aphrodite kid) lifted the clump of hair slowly from my face and told me, "It didn't work."

Then she let the hair drop back onto my face and I heard her heavy footsteps clomp away.

Once my hair was all back in order, I headed back to the Hermes cabin, intending to see if Dana wanted to sword fight.

I opened the plain door, stepped inside, and looked around for Dana's bunk. She was there, notepad and pen in hand. She looked up when I entered, and quickly stuffed the both of them under her bed.

"Hey, Adara," she said casually, like absolutely nothing strange had happened. Maybe this was normal; how was I to know?

"Hello, Dana. Do you, uh, want to go sword fight?" I asked.

Dana shrugged half-heartedly. "No, not really. Sword fighting just isn't really my thing. Sorry," She answered, falling back onto her pillow but then quickly jumping back up when she realized she was laying on her notebook.

"What's in there, anyways?" I asked, fiddling with the door handle behind my back.

A sense of déjà vu washed over me. I'd practically done the same thing when Poseidon picked me up from the Lotus Hotel and Casino. It was a small thing, but I had a good memory.

Dana bit her lip in hesitation. "Nothing," She lied quite transparently. "Just some stuff."

Nothing, but some stuff? That made absolutely no sense.

"Okay," I sighed, "well, see you later then."

I turned back around and headed out the door and out of the circle of cabins. I sort of headed around aimlessly, ending up on the sandy shores of the beach.

I looked around and found a nice spot to sit in - a spot surrounded by rocks that would nearly completely conceal me. I curled up inside, not attending to fall asleep, only to watch the small waves uninterrupted. I drifted in oblivion anyway, the sound of crashing waves lulling me to sleep.

~~~

When I awoke the sun was noticeably lower in the sky. I figured it was around 6 o'clock in the evening, almost time for dinner. I crawled out from under the cover of rocks, stood up, and brushed the sand off myself. I ran a hand through my hair, took one glance back at the water, and headed to mess.

Along the way, I spotted some small, metal cylinders lying in the grass, so I stooped down and picked up the first one to investigate later. It was brightly coloured with bold writing in it that I didn't bother to read.

I wasn't particularly hungry by the time I reached mess, so I just sat at the edge of the Hermes table and waited while everyone chose their food. By the time everyone started getting up to sacrifice to the gods, I decided I should probably sacrifice something, so I slowly got up and headed toward the nearest brazier.

When I reached it very one had gone back to their tables to eat, and I didn't know what to sacrifice, so I reached into my pocket until I found the small cylindrical item I'd picked up along the way.

Shrugging, I held it front of me.

"No!" Almost everyone on the pavilion shouted. My hands had already released the object into the flames.

Within seconds there was a giant explosion, sending me staggering backwards a few steps, charring my face and my hair, and sending ash up my nose.

There was a collective groan from the campers around me, who now had sooty, half-finished meals on the tables in front of them.

"Cool!" I gasped in excitement, ignoring everything else.

Once the smoke cleared, I could make out the charred, twisted brazier in front of me. I didn't think the gods would be too happy about that. For a brief second, I wondered if the explosion had happened up in Olympus too, and if any of the gods had been affected by it.

"Battery," Percy muttered loud enough for me to hear. "That was a battery. Highly flammable."

Ironic - Battery the person explodes a highly flammable battery. What a battery did, I had no idea, but there wasn't much time to think about it, because a moment later, there was yet another noise from the demigods - a gasp - and when I looked around I saw that they were all staring at a spot just above my head.

I frowned, looked up, and nearly had a heart attack.