( t e n )

( t e n )

I took a deep breath and repeated the last line of the prophecy. "To live or die / your time is nigh."

Chiron took in my words for a few seconds and selected his own response carefully.

"Then you must pick four demigods to accompany you. You will find Artemis in Tampa Bay, where she is hunting with her Hunters. As you probably have figured out by now, you have less than six days to complete your journey and successfully revoke the Curse. You must leave right away, for there is no time to waste," He said to me, shifting from hoof to hoof.

I heaved a sigh. "Percy and Annabeth for sure," I said, "they're coming. Right?" I said, glancing at Percy, who shrugged.

"Sure, I'll come. I don't know about Annabeth, though. I'll talk to her. Who else do you want to come?" He replied, scratching the back of his neck.

I shrugged. "I don't know. Who do you think I should bring? Dana, the Hermes girl? I don't know many people around here."

It was true - I'd met the Seven, yes, but I didn't really know them. I supposed I could take one of them as well, but which?

"I'll ask the rest of my friends. Don't worry, we'll find someone to come," Percy told me.

I wasn't worrying at all, but I didn't say that to Percy.

Chiron cut into our conversation. "All very well, but we should call a meeting. An explanation is surely in order, at the least. Maybe you can find the last quest member there as well," He said.

***

At mess (Chiron had blown the conch horns to summon the campers), I sat shakily at the Poseidon table with Percy and Tyson, the latter looking delighted to have a new sibling.

"Sister!" He cried. "Adara, you are sister!" He clapped briefly, then ate half of a peanut butter sandwich in one bite.

I forced a smile. "Yeah," I said weakly. "I am."

This whole quest thing was starting to catch up to me. If I didn't go on the quest, I would die. If I did go in the quest, I still might die. Life was just a ball of sunshine right now.

Almost none of the campers walking by me spared me a second glance, though it was blatantly obvious that they were still talking about me.

A few minutes later, once everyone was seated, Chiron stepped forward a bit to talk. He explained my existence, the Curse, and the new quest. All the campers were silent for a few moments, almost all of them looking over at me. Chatter didn't break out like I expected, but I guessed that it would come soon enough.

"Who will go on this quest with you, Adara?" Chiron asked me. I stood so I could see all the campers better.

"Percy," I stated first. "Annabeth, Dana?"

Annabeth locked eyes with Percy for a few moments before looking back to me. "Sure, I'll come," She told me.

"Great," I replied, "thanks."

Next I looked over to Dana, who was wedged into a spot at the Hermes table. She shrugged. "Um... okay," She said tentatively.

"That leaves one more. Who will go?" Chiron said, looking around the pavilion.

For a few moments, there was complete silence, and I was afraid that it was never going to end, that no one would volunteer and I wouldn't be able to go on this quest.

Finally, someone stood up. At first I didn't recognise them, but I quickly realised it was Leo, one of the Seven.

"Sure, I'll come along," He said, "I'm Leo Valdez, Supreme Commander of the Argo II, in case you forgot." His hands were fiddling with something metallic, probably more bolts or something.

"Very well," Said Chiron. "You shall leave immediately. How do you wish to travel?"

I shrugged. "Pegasi?" I said. "I have a pegasus."

Percy looked at me in subdued curiosity. "When did you get it?" He asked me. "Did you have it before you came?"

I shook my head, tapping my fingers absentmindedly on the table. "She was a gift, from Poseidon and Artemis. I found her in the stables my first night here. Her name's Luna," I replied as the crowd in the mess hall started to disband. Chatter broke out while Annabeth, Leo and Dana headed over to our table. Dana looked like she was about to explode with nerves, while Leo and Annabeth seemed far more at ease.

I looked over at them. "Do you we go now, then?" I asked to no one in particular, looking for Chiron, who was already coming our way at a brisk pace.

"Will you be taking pegasi?" He said, clearly addressing me.

I swallowed, glancing around at my other quest mates. They offered no opinion, so I looked back to Chiron to answer, standing up from my seat at the Poseidon table as I did so. "Yes, we are. They can choose pegasi from the stables, right?"

Chiron nodded. "Of course, but you should get going right away. Pack your things and meet at the stables in five minutes."

***

I was the first to get to the stables, with Arch in my pocket, my bow and quiver slung around my back, and a backpack sitting on my shoulders. I pushed open the barn style doors and hurried through the rows of horses and pegasi until I reached Luna, who was resting contentedly in her stall.

Hey, girl, I said softly. We've got to go on a quest now. Are you okay with me taking you?

Luna whinnied indignantly. Of course, miss, She told me, of course I'll take you.

I smiled. "Thanks," I said aloud, opening her stall door to let her out.

A minute later, I was on her back and she was trotting back outside, where the other four were waiting, Chiron not far behind. Each had weapons and a bag of some sort, though Percy had miraculously found his pegasus, Blackjack, who was, of course, a deep black colour, not unlike Luna, though he had no crescent moon on his head.

"This is Luna," I told the four of them, dismounting. "Should we find you three pegasi?"

Chiron reached us then and nodded in agreement. "You go ahead and pick out a pegasus. I'll wait here." He seemed to be reluctant to enter the stables, so we left without further questions.

***

Soon we were all mounted on pegasi, in a circle around Chiron, who we no longer had to physically look up to.

"Good," He said. "Now, normally Argus would drive you out a bit in a camp van, but since you have your own rides that'll be unnecessary. Your trip should be fairly simple, in theory. You fly as quickly as you can to Tampa Bay, convince Artemis to lift the curse, and fly back here. Of course, there will be many monster attacks, so you will be slowed down, but I trust that you'll make it there okay."

With that, we each guided our pegasus into the air and through the night sky, hair blowing back in the wind.

I didn't allow myself a look back at Camp Half Blood, because I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it.

A/N: i'm feeling pretty good about this story! I've got so much inspiration for it, so expect frequent updates.

In other news, I'm starting to make a playlist/soundtrack for this fanfic, which basically means i'm writing down songs that have a good sound with this fic, and I'll listen to them while I write this. I'll show you the list when this story Is finished!