( t w e l v e )

( t w e l v e )

I fell soundly asleep as soon as Percy and Dana took guard an hour or two later, curled up with my head on my hands and a blanket tucked snugly around my body.

I treasured my few hours of sleep, as I didn't get many; Percy shook me awake too soon for my liking, but I got up anyways, put my quiver and bow around my body, and made sure I still had Arch. Of course I did.

I curled my blanket and put it in front of my backpack to lean against. Daylight was not far; already the night wasn't so dark, and I could make out a few odd cars on the street if I looked down over the edge.

My injuries from the harpy attack were few; just a couple of scratches marked my body from the bird's sharp talons.

I struggled to keep consciousness; I was exhausted already, and we'd barely even started our quest. Time seemed to move extra slowly, though my only way to judge what hour it was was by the rising sun, which I'd learn to tell time with during my many years of living in a forest, with no other reliable source.

Annabeth and I chatted idly together, keeping our voices down so we wouldn't wake the others, though we would have to set out soon. We had a long way to go, and so little time. We had to travel across the country in six days, or Percy and I would die. It was a simple fact, but it ran a shiver down my spine.

I wrapped my arms around my torso, feeling the chill bite through my skin and sink into my bones. It wasn't so cold out yet, but it felt like mid-November to me already.

When I felt that I was about to fall asleep, I bit my tongue so sharply that the metallic taste of blood flooded my mouth. I spat on the roof, gagging, until it was only a faint trace.

But it had worked - I felt wide awake, like I could take on the world. Annabeth, however, looked the opposite. She was nearly nodding off, though she appeared to struggle to keep her eyes open and alert.

"You can sleep, if you want," I told her quietly, trying not to rouse the others. "I'm fine on my own."

Annabeth looked up, apparently startled. "Are you sure?" She asked, though she was already laying down, using her backpack as a pillow and pulling her blanket snugly around her body.

"Yeah," I said, "go ahead. I'll wake you before the others. They never have to know."

A hint of a smile played on her face before she yawned "good night - or, good morning" and closed her eyes sleepily.

I took Arch from my pocket a few minutes later, already bored. I ran my thumb over the familiar, worn bronze-coloured casing. It held so many secrets and memories. Losing Arch forever would be like losing your best friend; heart-wrenching and deeply emotional.

I'd grown so attached to my weapons in so little time. They made up my identity now. They were a part of me, a part of my life. I wondered briefly if other demigods would agree with me on that or not.

Soon, the sun had rose, though it was still low-hanging in the sky, so I hurried over to wake Annabeth before our other companions woke first and saw she wasn't guarding.

Once everyone was awake, we packed all of our things after a quick breakfast, which just about exhausted our small supply of food.

We were in the air on our fully rested pegasi not much later, gliding through the air quickly and smoothly. Luna seemed exceptionally cheerful, flying with new vigour.

Hey, miss, She said, as if sensing that I was thinking about her. We're going to Florida, right? South?

Yeah, I replied. Generally south.

Sure thing, miss!

***

We touched down a few hours later, in the middle of a clearing in a forest. I was feeling more at home then ever, the familiar sound of rustling leaves lulling me into an almost false sense of happiness. Surely life couldn't be this happy if a Curse was waiting for me, set for just five days in the future?

Five days.

The thought shocked me from my peaceful trance. Five days was all that was left to save the lives of Percy and I. If we couldn't make it to Tampa Bay in time, we would be dead. Even if we did make it to Tampa Bay in time, Artemis might still refuse to lift the Curse, and we would die anyway.

I shook my head as Dana spoke up. "Why are we stopping?" She asked. "At this rate, we'll never make it to Florida in time." She slid of off Caramel and onto the long, green grass, landing with a soft thump.

Percy was first to reply. "The pegasi need rest. They can't go on forever, you know. Just a few minutes, and we'll be off again," He explained, patting Blackjack's neck and going to sit by Annabeth, who looked rejuvenated and well-rested.

Dana shrugged, and walked to the edge of the clearing to lean against a tree and take out her notebook, which she'd apparently brought along.

That left Leo and I standing awkwardly, Leo's hands shoved into his pockets and mine fiddling with the edge of my bow.

"So..." I started

Somehow, a few moments later, we go to the topic of our pasts, and Leo was explaining how he'd almost gotten killed by his baby sitter, Tia Callida (who turned out to be the goddess Hera), accidentally killed his mother in a fire he started at her workplace, and finally gone to a delinquent school, where he, Piper, and Jason were rescued by Annabeth and a buff rainbow pony dude named Butch.

From there, I explained little details that Chiron had skipped over of my past, like exactly how Poseidon had rescued me, and how Artemis's couldn't bear to meet me.

Our conversation just kept going on, about the situation at hand, about our own lives, just about anything. The talk was effortless; it was simply easy to be around Leo, to make meaningful conversation. It was weird, considering I didn't have much experience talking to people.

Around ten minutes later, when Leo was telling me about how he'd drawn his epic warship with crayons as a kid and built it a few months ago, we were interrupted by Percy.

"Come on, lovebirds. We need to get going now."

A/N : This chapter was finished on the 12th, when chapter nine was the latest one posted. IM ON A ROLL

OMNOM (too lazy for periods lol)

Happy New Years everyone! Sorry, this chapter is a bit late, I just honestly forgot about updating. But here it is!

The Curse Of Artemis (Percy Jackson Fanfiction) [COMPLETED]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें