three - 'lego house'

lego house by ed sheeran

-

buses were weird. sometimes they were so loud and the driver was sat driving while shaking their head because they can't believe that they have to deal with this amount of noise. and other days, there are very little kids and its a peaceful ride of stop and go. it was a monday, and both luke and ashton knew this was the day every kid in the neighborhood would be on the bus.

luke wasn't one for loud noises, but he also wasn't the type to turn and yell at the rowdier kids to be quiet. no, he usually just stayed quiet and mad little angry faces to which ashton would just giggle.

the pair were waiting patiently for the bus, luke snuggled up close to ashton's side. it was cold out, mid-october. luke was bundled up in a jacket and big scarves, but ashton was simply wearing a jean jacket and a t-shirt. luke couldn't understand how he wasn't freezing his butt off.

the city bus pulled up and they both boarded quickly, ashton groaning when seeing how many kids were on the bus. he knew it was about to be a long ride. he could tell luke was feeling the same so he sat down and pulled the blond onto his lap.

'but now i cant see you' luke said as he was faced away from ashton. ashton laughed and had him turn around so that they were facing each other. luke smiled at him and kissed his nose, something small that they weren't allowed to do at the orphanage.

normally, monday bus rides felt like hours, but the ride felt like merely seconds to both ashton and luke. they were both happy because of this, long bus rides aren't very fun.

they both walked into the school together, luke still visibly upset about the events of the night before. ashton tried reassuring him and telling him that everything was alright, but luke wouldn't take it. he just shook his head and left that sad little pout on his face that ashton really hated seeing.

'i don't wanna go to math this early in the morning' luke whined, resting his forehead lazily on ashton's shoulder. ashton chuckled, messing up the boy's hair a little. luke whined a little more, his sleepiness making him slightly irritated. ashton looked at him and kissed his nose, smiling lightly.

'just gotta get through five classes and then school is over. you got this' luke was so grateful for ashton, he couldn't even express it.

-

luke was trying so hard to stay awake in class, it was the last class of the day and he really needed the notes that were being given. ashton sat behind him, diagonally, watching him with nervous eyes. of course luke would end up falling asleep in the only class where he sits right in the front. just to add to the stress, this teacher absolutely hated sleeping. she believed it simply wasted good time; it was a wonder she wasn't always sleep deprived.

luke rested his head on his desk, simply too tired to keep it up anymore. ashton panicked and threw a pencil at him, causing luke to jolt up, his desk making a loud bang in the process. everyone turned towards him and his cheeks flushed a light pink as he looked down at his desk in embarrassment.

he turned to look at ashton for some reassurance, but he noticed ashtons eyes trained on something else. he followed his eyes and saw their teacher staring right at him. he gulped as his heartbeat quickened, he knew he was in deep shit now.

'are these notes not important enough hemmings? or is that desk just really comfy? i don't understand why students feel free to just sleep in class like it's their personal bedroom. hemmings, get up here' luke had tears in his eyes as he looked at all of the other students who looked almost scared for him. the blond stood at the front of the room, training his eyes on ashton's.

'if you think that sleeping in my class is just perfect for your education, then you must know all the material. why don't you teach the class then, hmm?' luke felt tears falling from his eyes and he looked down at the book his teacher had just placed in his hands.

'don't waste any more of my time hemmings, lets go' luke couldn't handle anymore, his fatigue and his emotions were not mixing well, and he felt like he was going to pass out any second. he dropped the book and ran out of the room, something like in a movie. ashton stood up, his chair making a loud scraping noise on the floor, something he was glad happened; caused some dramatic effect. he angrily looked at his teacher before following luke out of the room.

'ashton, get back in here' his teacher called, but he ignored her and went for the bathrooms, the obvious place for luke to be. ashton could here sniffling and tried the door that the noise was coming from, but found that luke had locked himself inside. he saw a small group of boys, who had been deemed the school junkies, standing in the corner.

'dude, is he alright? came in here all upset' ashton nodded his head and tried opening the stall door, only to find it was locked. he rested his forehead against the door and tried talking the boy down.

'lukey? can you come out baby, we can go call home if you want?' luke just ignored him and continued to pinch the side of his arm, an act of self-harm that had become a habit. ashton didn't leave, he just waited for luke to calm down a little bit, enough to come out of the stall himself.

'bub? how you doing in there?' luke hummed in response, his fatigue hitting him once again. he unlocked the door and fell into ashton's arms, too tired to walk anywhere. ashton chuckled and hoisted him up onto his hip, carrying him to the front office. he noticed the red marks on luke's arms where he had pinched them and rubbed his hand over the irritated skin.

ashton had to put luke down before anyone else saw the pair, so they both walked up the front desk, luke feeling like he was going to pass out any second.

'mrs. e? can we call home really quick, see if they could pick us up early. luke isn't feeling too great and i want to make sure he gets home to rest' mrs. e smiled and agreed, motioning them to enter the office so he could get to the phone. luke whimpered and followed close behind, starting to get teary-eyed.

ashton made a quick phone call, but by the look on his face, luke could tell that the orphanage had declined. luke pouted and started crying when ashton just shook his head. ashton's face softened, if possible, and held luke in his arms, knowing how exhausted he was.

'i take it they said no?' ashton nodded, feeling luke's breath start to even out as he started to fall asleep. mrs. e sighed and motioned to one of the nurses beds, telling the boys to relax and that she would tell their teachers they had gone home. ashton thanked her, laying luke down so he could rest.

ashton played games on his phone up until the final bell rang. he woke luke up and they walked to the bus stop, remembering that the drive home on a monday was probably not going to be great either.