Chapter 4 - Breaking glasses

He's Mine

Chapter 4 – Breaking glasses

"Come on Mum! We're going to be late!"

"I'm coming!" Claire called, and Harmony rolled her eyes. She was dangling the keys in her hand and listened to the metal softly clanging together.

Then she heard her mother clamber down the stairs. She took the keys from her daughter's grasp and ushered her out of the house and into the car.

They arrived after 10 minutes and she pulled up onto their drive. "See, just on time." Claire said, smiling and hopping out of the car. Harmony followed her to the back gate beside Katie's garage and went down by their house into the garden.

"Harmony!" A woman called, rushing over and wrapping her arms round Harmony in a hug. "Long time no see. How are you dear?"

"I'm well thanks Jane," She replied with a smile and pulled away from her. Katie's mum had the same blonde hair but it was shorter and her eyes were the same sky blue as Katie's.

"Mony!" A pair of arms suffocated her and she was surrounded by the easily recognisable scent of Katie. She grinned and hugged her back. "He's here," She whispered in her ear, and Harmony peered over her shoulder to the chairs she'd just been seated at.

Her blood ran cold and her eyes were wide as she saw the boy sat at the table. He had soft brown hair and when his head turned towards the two girls, his ocean blue eyes captured hers. Her heart fluttered in her chest and the usual dizzy effect made her feel light on her feet.

Katie noticed Harmony's body stiffen and she giggled in her ear. "I know; he's hot right?"

They pulled apart and Harmony forced a laugh and nodded her head.

"He's mine though, back off," Katie whispered and winked before skipping over to sit down. Those words made Harmony's heart plummet in her chest, and suddenly she felt very sick. Harmony forced her legs to keep walking and sat like a robot, in complete shock for the second time this week.

"So," Katie spoke, gaining Harmony's attention, "Alex, this is Harmony," She indicated to her best friend, "and Harmony this is Alex."

"Oh but we've already-"

"It's nice to meet you, Alex," Harmony interrupted, smiling politely at him. She was met by his confusion.

"No but see-"

"Katie's already told me so much about you," Harmony continued, staring at Alex with stern eyes. Despite his confusion, he decided to go along with her.

"Yeah um, you too." He coughed awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck and unable to take his eyes off Harmony. He was disappointed when her gaze didn't meet his; instead it was trained on the floor, somehow finding the concrete tiles very interesting to look at.

"Okay, now the introductions are out of the way, I think I'll get us some drinks," Katie announced, seemingly unaware of the tension between Alex and Harmony. "What would you like?"

"I'll just have water," Harmony said, looking up and smiling, though suddenly finding her throat very dry.

"Same here," Alex mumbled, his mind wondering what was happening.

Katie nodded at their requests and walked into the house, giving Alex the opportunity to move closer to her, taking the seat besides her on the wooden bench and looking at her curiously. He became annoyed when she refused to meet his gaze, instead turning her body away from him and looking anywhere but at his enticing blue eyes.

"Harmony, care to explain anything to me? Why aren't you looking at me?" He became frustrated when there was no reply and he placed a hand on her leg, making her jump. She wasn't comfortable with the warmness his touch created, or the tingles that erupted in the pit of her stomach by his proximity. "Harmony, have I done something wrong? I don't understand."