Chapter 6 - Cold shoulder

He's Mine

Chapter 6 – Cold shoulder

"Wake up sleepy head!" A small voice called which was followed by a lump landing on Alex's chest, causing him to be pulled from his peaceful slumber.

"Molly," He groaned, propping himself up on his elbows and opening his eyes sleepily. A young girl of six sat on his lap, grinning cheekily at her older brother while her blue eyes shined with amusement.

"Mummy says if you don't get your lazy butt out of bed then you'll be late for school," She said sweetly.

"Yeah, yeah," He dismissed, picking her up and placing her on the floor. He then stood up and stretched, a yawn escaping his lips. When he felt more alert, he quickly got dressed and went downstairs and into the kitchen.

"Good morning, dear," His mother greeted.

"Morning, Mum," He replied, kissing her cheek. "Dad at work already?"

"Yes, dear, he was gone bright and early."

"Alex, save me!" He turned around at his name and suddenly Molly smashed into his legs. "Save me!" She pleaded again, holding her hands up to him.

He picked her up and settled her on his hips, "Save you from what, honey?"

"Nathan; he threatened to eat my fingers if I told."

"Eat your fingers?" Alex questioned and he raised an eyebrow at Nathan, his ten year old brother, as he entered the kitchen, who just shrugged his shoulders.

"Uh-huh," Molly answered, nodding her head gravely with a pout.

"Told what?" Alex enquired nosily, his question a whisper in his little sister's ear.

"That he has a crush on the girl next door," Molly whispered back, and then she held a finger to her lips.

Alex copied the gesture and winked at her, while she smiled innocently back. He then set her on the floor and she scurried away again, leaving him to make his own breakfast. Their mother trailed after her, having finished her own breakfast. It was just Alex and Nathan left in the kitchen.

"So, Nathan, I heard you've got yourself a crush."

Nathan's head snapped up to his big brother, his brown eyes narrowed. "Molly has such a big mouth," He grumbled, "I'm gonna-"

"You're not going to do anything," Alex interrupted with a chuckle. "Now come on, I'm your big brother; you can talk to me about these things."

"There's nothing to talk about," Nathan stated, his cheeks turning slightly red as he stubbornly refused to look up from his cereal at Alex.

Having had enough of teasing him, Alex slapped him lightly on the back. "If you say so, but if you need any lady advice; you know where to go."

Nathan snorted as a reply, and Alex cleaned up his bowl, laughing as he left to get ready.

After saying goodbye to his mum and little sister, Alex left the house with Nathan to go to school.

"Alex!"

He turned around to see Katie at her door, waving frantically in his direction. She shouted something in the house and then her younger sister, Laura, appeared by her side. They both looked very similar with their blonde hair and sky blue eyes; however Laura was five years younger and hadn't quite grown into herself just yet.

"Hey," Alex greeted as Katie joined them, smiling politely at her.

He'd known her for just over a week and they had become friends, not very close ones though and he couldn't understand why Harmony used her as a reason to be ignoring him. Sure, Katie was nice, she was funny, very outgoing and pretty; but she didn't compare to Harmony in his eyes.