Alola to Going Off Grid

A     l     y     a     '     s        P     o     v

***

"What do you think you're doing?" It was Kiawe's voice that disturbed my insistent stuffing of my belongings into my bag. Now that it wasn't being occupied by Rowlet's egg, I had plenty of space again.

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm leaving," I stated, not taking a second to look his way.

"Where are you going? Why are you going?" he asked. Putting the last item in my bag, I whirled around to see him with his arms crossed and blocking the doorway of the room I'd been using, cutting off my escape.

"I can't tell you where I'm going. I don't want you to find me," I answered, avoiding his second question. He caught on to my vagueness.

"Alya, you shouldn't be going anywhere. We both know that, so why are you leaving?" I bit my lip, not wanting to tell him. My answer was childish, even I knew that, but it was enough of a reason to get off of this island for the time being. After a few moments of silence, Kiawe's features softened, and he took a step closer to me. "Please?" I let out a long sigh of defeat.

"I can't be here when Alain gets here."

"Why not? You should be excited. He's coming all this way to make sure you're okay."

"Trust me, Kiawe, I am. I want to see him more than anything, but I know that as soon as I do, I'd lose any resolve I have. I came here for a reason; I still believe that. Alain wants to whisk me away and if I see him, I'd let him. I can't let whatever is happening to me follow me," I explained, forcing the forming tears to not fall. The headache that I was starting to feel, retreated back as the words finished leaving my mouth. Odd.

Kiawe heaved out a heavy sigh, dropping his gaze down to the floor in thought. "What am I supposed to tell him when he gets here, and you're not here?" My brows furrowed, stumped with his question as well. If I knew Alain, he wouldn't just sit here and wait for me to come back. He was the type that would go to the ends of the earth for me, and it was a quality that I both loved that he had, but also wish he didn't. It could end up destroying him.

I moved my hand up to toss my hair behind my shoulders, feeling the heat getting to me when my fingers brushed over the soft material that adorned my neck. My breath hitched in my throat as memories of how I attained the object came rushing back to me. This was my out. Carefully, my fingers worked swiftly to untie the bandanna around my neck. My gaze lingered on the design a moment longer than intended, before holding it out to Kiawe.

"When he gets here, give him this. Tell him...I'm coming back for it. Tell him to trust me, and that I'll be okay." Kiawe tentatively took the cloth from my hands. He didn't know the meaning behind it, but he must have known there was some sort of significance, otherwise, I wouldn't be giving it to him. He seemed to be at a loss for words and that was well enough for me. I placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder, before moving around him to exit the bedroom.

"Wait," he spoke up suddenly. I stopped, turning around to give him a curious look. My eyes searched his, seeing he still had a lot to say. I waited like he asked, though I couldn't lie I was a bit impatient to leave.

"What is it?" I asked, bouncing on the balls of my feet. He opened and closed his mouth several times, trying to find the right words. A small smile tugged at the corner of my lips, knowing after the time that we've spent together he wasn't very good at showing any other emotions than anger.

"Just...I know you will, but be careful. Don't strain yourself and make sure you get plenty of sleep. And I'm not telling you this because I don't think you're capable of not taking care of yourself, and it's not because you're a --"