Not So Proper Parenting

It had been a few hours after the kidnapping

It had been a few hours after the kidnapping. The adults and Bernie (excluding the rest of my my siblings) had gathered up in the throne room and were "secretly" discussing what to do next.

Naturally, Darius and I had sneaked in through some secret passage we'd found a few years before. I doubted my parents knew of it, but we were careful nonetheless.

Well, as careful as Darius and I can be. He's my favourite sibling, because he's just a year older than me and knows what it feels like when you are under everyone else's shadow.

We were hiding behind a big statue of the moon. It had something to do with an ancestor of ours or something. I believed it was a myth; like, how can someone fall in love with a moon warrior? That couldn't be more than a fairy tale.

The statue was enormous, so we could sit behind it comfortably without the fear of being seen or heard.

I supressed a chuckle at the thought of the rest of my siblings trying to eavesdrop on the conversation while also keeping a lookout for guards.

"What's so funny?" Darius hissed at me.

"The others are probably outside, fighting over a glass and taking turns listening from behind the door." I whispered. Darius rolled his eyes.

"It's not that funny." he snorted.

"Whatever Mr Grumpy." I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up, Sam! I can't hear a thing!" he replied.

He was right, but that didn't stop me from grumbling about it. I started paying attention to what the adults were saying.

"This is all your fault, so you'll be the ones to fix it! You're going to get us our daughter back, or I'll bring an army and turn your little kingdom into ash!" Darlene's father yelled at my parents. I sneaked a peek from the side of the sculpture.

"How is any of this our fault? Your daughter was the one that refused to marry our son!" my mother yelled back.

"I don't blame her!" Darlene's mother screamed.

I exchanged a glance with Darius and we both tried not to laugh. I turned back to look at the spectacle.

Bernie seemed to be on the verge of tears (Darlene's mother really bruised his ego with what she said) and my father was red from anger.

"Okay, that's enough!" Bernie interrupted everyone. "I'll go get Darlene and we'll neither have to call of the wedding nor have any kingdom burnt to the ground. This was a huge misfortune, but still nobody's fault. It's not like someone brought the dragon in to steal her away!"

"That's... surprisingly a pretty good idea. It will even make the people forget about the scandal Darlene made!" my mother said, referring to the fact that Darlene refused to say I do. "Plus, the whole knight in shining armor thing... Well done, Bernie!"