Not So Proper Staying Alive

So I sort of died. The favour Vivian owed me passed on the person closest to me, which was Jason because that thing was more literal than I had thought. Like, I thought it would be depending on a more emotional bond, but no! What if a cockroach had been near me when I died? Would it get my favour? Or, if animals and insects weren't part of the deal, what would happen if someone murdered me? Would they deserve to take something so important from me? Other than my life, of course...

The fact that I was revived, though, was more proof that I'm immortal. The problem is that this isn't how I saw it back then. I felt vulnerable for the first time in, like, forever.

It wasn't hard to hide it, though.

"So... Was my death dramatic enough, or should I give it another go?" I joked.

"It's not funny, Sam." Jason glared at me. "You gave us a heart attack."

"Did you share the heart attack, or did each of you have their own?" I teased him.

"You're unbelievable. It took dying to make you talk about your feelings and now that you're alive again, you're pretending it never happened."

"What never happened?" I asked him innocently.

"Don't kill her again, I won't be able to revive her this time." Vivian sighed from her little corner in the far end of the room.

"Oh well... I guess you only live twice." I shrugged. "I was hoping for a third try, but we can't have everything in this life... Or should I say these lives?" I wiggled my eyebrows.

"I hate you." Jason shook his head.

"Oh, come on! I'm just teasing you!" I rolled my eyes.

"I thought you were dead."

"I was."

"I mean permanently."

"But I'm not! Thanks, by the way. To both of you."

"Okay, not to interrupt the hilarious banter here, but you two have two royals to save." Vivian crossed her arms.

"Right. We have to go now." I jumped out of bed.

"I'm not done." Vivian glared at me. "You've been kind of terrible at this so far, so I'm coming along to help you out."

"Seriously?" my jaw dropped.

"Well, that and I'm kinda bored back at my village so I may or may not want to watch you fight a huge, fire-breathing dragon. It's going to be hilarious." she shrugged.

"I'm sure it is..." I rolled my eyes again.

"Alright then. Are you two done fighting so we can go?" Vivian asked.

"Oh, we're not fighting. He is." I motioned towards Jason, who was fuming, with my head.

"Let's just go." he grumbled.

"Jason, I'm fine." I told him, seriously this time.

"You died."

"Yes, and I'm still fine!"

"You wanted to die."

"She what?" Vivian glared at me.

I paled. "That's just stupid. It was just crazy rambling of a crazy person on her deathbed." I waved it off.

"You said we'd all be better off without you. That you're a disappointment and a million other stupid things, but you meant them. I can tell when you're being honest."

"I was just being overdramatic! You know me! I wanted to have a memorable death."

"Samantha Louisa Courdine, you're one of the craziest people to ever walk this earth. You think you're worth nothing? You set out on a dangerous journey to rescue a brother who never treated you like a sister and his fiancée, whom your in love with and probably think they'll get married as soon as they return to the palace. That's selflessness." Vivian poked my chest, making me stumble backwards. "You faced your fears and your past when you came to my territory. That's courage." she poked me again. "You stood up to a bloody goddess. That's bravery."