Not So Proper Saving

Darlene's POV

Darlene's POV

Have you ever been dragged by a flying dragon out a broken window on the wedding day you didn't want to have? Because it can really ruin your hair and it's an amazingly concrete excuse on why you skipped said wedding.

The problem was that the dragon wasn't really good at picking out what humans eat and he didn't talk much. He mostly groaned and yelled, but sometimes I could hear him whisper things such as "Too little gold..." and "Hate the royals!".

I tried talking to the dragon many times. Eventually, I found out that his name was Neden, or something like that and that he kidnapped me to get back at my sort-of parents-in-law because they stole away all his gold and his wife left him.

I ended up telling him my life story, mostly because I was bored and all that, and I think that Neden had started to like me. Everything was going great and I'm pretty sure he would have let me go, if Bernie hadn't decided to show up about a week after I was taken to the cave.

"Oh, mighty dragon! I've come to challenge you to a battle to the death to save my fiancée!" he yelled upon arriving at the cave.

"Who dares disrupt my deep slumber?" Neden bellowed. I facepalmed at their high drama levels.

"It is I, prince Bernard Courdine! The heir to the thr--"

If you guessed that the dragon ate Bernie, you are wrong. Neden slammed him against a tree with his tail and then dragged him in the cave.

"You didn't have to hit him like that, you know..." I rolled my eyes at the dragon.

"I thought you didn't like him!" Neden lied back down in his place.

"I never said that! I only said that I didn't want to marry him!"

"Why was that again?"

"His little sister is way cuter."

"Oh, right. I forgot about that." Neden appeared to be sighing. "Is he dead?"

"Nah. He's just unconscious." I shrugged. "Can't you keep him here and let me walk? The palace is going to miss him a lot more and they'll be willing to give you ransom for his safe return, if you give them the chance. If you keep us here like that, they'll keep sending people to rescue us."

"I know, but I'm a dragon and I don't know how to write. Besides, you're fun to have around."

"Okay, then I promise you that if you ever let me go, I'll build a palace of my own and let you move in. You'll be my accountant or something like that. You like gold, don't you?" I asked the dragon.

"That doesn't sound so bad..."

"See? Just ask for ransom and I'll take care of the rest. I could write the letter for you." I suggested.