Not So Proper Speed-Dating

Darlene's POV

Darlene's POV

Neden was quite demanding when it came to picking his future girlfriend or whatever, mainly because he kept comparing every single dragon that came in to his ex.

Like, dude, you said you were ready to move on. If you want to move on, it has to be with someone that's nothing like your ex!

Suffice to say that he was hopeless. Absolutely hopeless. Even Bernie could flirt better, and I refused to marry him because I liked his little sister.

Speaking of Bernie, he was convinced that we'd stay at that cave forever. His argument was arrogant to say the least.

"Let's be real here. They sent me, the best of the best, to rescue you and I failed. If I didn't stand a chance, no one else will. We're doomed."

"Wow, Bernie, you're right! How did I not see this earlier? We really are doomed... Now how about you give me the blame for being hopeful?" I replied sarcastically.

"I'd never do that."

"Thank the Moon!" I exclaimed in exasperation.

"Oh, I've met her." Neden chimed in.

"Who?" Bernie tilted his head in confusion.

"The Moon. She goes by Selene, actually. She's pretty cool. She's the reason witches exist." the dragon replied.

"That's hardcore! How did she do it?" I asked him.

"I don't know, I wasn't alive back then. It was a long time ago. My great grandpa used to tell me that story when I was a kid, but I never payed attention. He was there, you know. At the war."

"What war?"

"The one with the demons and the moon soldiers? Only there was only one left of the latter group. It was a blast."

"That happened? Ha! If I ever see Sam again I'm going to make her question her entire existence. She never believed that story. Even when she was a toddler, she always said it couldn't be real." Bernie laughed.

"Oh, right! She told me that when I first came to the palace and asked her about the statue in the throne room." I smiled at the memory.

"She may have not believed in all that, but she definitely loved the story. She always asked dad to tell it as a bedtime one." Bernie chuckled.

"I don't think it's because she liked it. This is Sam we're talking about, she probably found it ridiculous and wanted to make fun of it." I rolled my eyes, still smiling.

"She did always giggle uncontrollably around the end... And the ending was tragic." Bernie agreed. "It's weird to be talking about this... The last time I saw that statue she and Darius had hidden behind it to eavesdrop on our plans to rescue you."