Not So Proper Pirating

Darius' POV

The palace wasn't exactly on fire but it might as well have been

After the utter failure of a wedding and Sam's departure, Clarissa and Cornelius left again to go take care of their palaces and regions. Ever since Samantha left, Andrea was so bored because she had no-one to bully, that she locked herself in her room and only came out to eat. And Andrew... Well, he was being his natural self; mostly staying hidden in random places until someone passed by so he could scare them.

Oh, and did I mention we were being attacked by pirates? Because we were, and that's where the fire thing comes in.

We were being bombarded with canons and we'd sent the entire army out to protect the civilians, leaving the palace completely unprotected, because my parents are complete idiots.

Mommy dearest dropped the caring act when Sam left and went back to being her usual self. Dad was the only one of the two that was actually worried about her. He had hidden away in his room, much like Andrea, while my mother had taken advantage of the situation and started doing things completely her way. Not much changed, but the difference was clear.

Especially since she practically left the palace unguarded and open for the pirates to get in and loot.

I had locked myself in my room as a sign of protest against my mother's way of ruling and was looking out a window when I noticed an obviously drunk pirate making her way in through the gates.

In Sam's absence I had started to spend more time with Rosaline, so she was the first person I ran to for help.

Believe it or not, the quiet girl that always stayed out of trouble and tried to keep everyone else away from it too, was the most viable option at the time. Everyone else was completely incapacitated by sheer stupidity and arrogance, which pretty much means that they were still themselves.

It took me a while to make my way to my sister's room, mainly because our parents had spread our rooms pretty far from each other to keep us from wreaking havoc.

Not that it had ever helped in the past... It only stalled or made things a little harder for us whenever we actually needed each other for something important.

I knocked on Rosaline's door.

"Are you decent?" I asked. Someone started cackling from inside, and it wasn't exactly a laughter I'd heard before. "What the--"

"Come in, Dari..." my sister sighed. I opened up and entered the room.

The first thing I noticed was Rosaline sitting cross-legged on her bed. The second thing I noticed was the pirate I'd seen earlier, sitting in front of her in the same manner. Then I noticed that my sister was fighting with said pirate's hair.

She was losing.

"What the hell is going on?" I asked them both.

"Watch it." Rosaline glared at me. "Can't you see we have a guest?"