Chapter fourty-one: Family history

"If you need anything, just give me a call or let Jonas call me." Noah said, rubbing his thumb along the back of my hand, which he held.

"And if he becomes a little prick, I'm two houses down." CJ pointed behind his shoulder towards where Savanna and Samantha were happily playing in the yard with Addie.

"I'm standing right here, you know." Jonas said, rolling his eyes in mock hurt.

"Let me know if he ever makes you uncomfortable, and I'll come rescue you." Rachel whispered as she hugged me.

"Again, I'm right here! I can hear you!" Jonas exclaimed.

I laughed and nodded. "I promise. However, we both know I can just kick him in the balls."

"I'm about to regret allowing you to stay with me." Jonas muttered. I just rolled my eyes before turning to Noah.

"You'll be close, right?" I asked hesitantly. He smiled before brushing a strand of hair from my face. "I'll be here the instant you need me." He promised, then placed a light kiss on my forehead. My insides melted, and I reluctantly stepped away from him and waved goodbye to Rachel and CJ.

"Take care of yourselves." I sniffled.

"You're not moving to a different country! Your literally two houses down!" Jonas cried.

Rachel pretended to wipe a tear. "I will, as long as you promise as well."

I wailed loudly and flung my arms around her neck, biting back laughter as I heard Jonas groan out in annoyance.

He stomped inside his house, hauling my baggage inside. I grinned and tried to pull away from Rachel, but she didn't let go.
"I'm serious. Take care. Don't get hurt." She whispered in my ear.

"I will." I whispered back, before stepping out of her arms.

Why did this really feel like a real goodbye?

Waving once again to Noah and CJ, I jogged after Jonas before he changed his mind and locked me out.

***

"You can sleep here." Jonas said, kicking open a door and putting my suitcase inside. It technically wasn't mine, nor were the clothes inside. Rachel just didn't want me to have dirty clothes, so she gave me some of her own.

Stepping past him, I looked around the cute, tiny room. It had a beach theme, sand colored walls and sea green curtains, with little sea shells lining a mirror on the wall.

I spotted a TV, and secretly cackled gleefully. "Thank you." I said, turning to him and giving him a smile. Jonas just wrinkled his nose, then leaned down and opened a mini fridge by the foot of the bed. I choked down a laugh as he took out a juice box, popped the straw in his mouth, and began to slurp.

"I'm down the hall if you need anything. Bathroom through that door, and the closet is there." Jonas explained. "Feel free to raid the fridge. Sorry not sorry if you don't like juice." He said with a shrug, then left.

I smiled, then closed the door and shrugged off my jacket.

I kicked off my shoes and flopped onto the bed, moaning as the mattress enveloped me in softness.

Even the bed carried the beach theme. It had seashell shaped pillows and a light blue comforter with wave-like stitches.

Breathing in the smell of wash detergent, I turned over to face the TV.