Chapter fifty: Freaking Divas

Tik Tok.

Tik Tok.

Tik Tok.

"So..." I began. "Are we all good now?"

Tik Tok.

Tik Tok.

Tik Tok.

"Yes," Jonas muttered through a clenched jaw.

Tik Tok.
Tik Tok.
Tik Tok.

"Good." I chirped.

"Good." Echoed Quinn.
"Wonderful." Said Jay.
"Excellent." Said Noah.
"Can I have a drink?" Asked Issac.

I sighed and looked at Rachel. She nodded and left to the kitchens. The sound of running water trickled through the house as we all stared at each other.

Noah cleared his throat. "So...you all know why you're gathered here."

"Yeah," Jay shifted in his seat, folding his hands on his knees in an un-Jay way. "Hanna's daddy has daughter problems and took it out on us."

I narrowed my eyes. "Not exactly." Standing, I moved to our infamous white board, the ones with all the names Issac wrote down, and gestured. "He's trying to separate us. He wants me to be alone so that he can swoop in and snatch me."

"Why?" Jay asked. "Why does he want you? Why did he do any of this?" He threw his arms out and gestured to Quinn. Quinn turned red and lowered his head.

"Because he needs an heir to continue the family blood line." My voice sounded soft, meeker than I had planned.

We fell silent.

Tap.
Tap.
Tap.
Taptaptaptaptap.

"Can you stop?" Noah snapped, whirling to face Stacy. She held her hands up in surrender and stopped tapping her foot.

Damn. This is tense.

Rachel reentered the room and handed Issac a glass of water. She sat back down and looked around at all of us.
"Well?" She shrugged. "What's the plan?"

There we go. Finally, the point of this Cold-War-Like meeting.

Clearing my throat, I grasped Noah's hand.
I took a breath.
"My father contacted me again. He said that this is my last chance to obey him and come quietly." My voice shook and Noah's thumb brushed a quick oath across the back of my hand. "This has dragged on too long. This is our last chance to catch him and have him arrested." I cleared my throat and met each of my friends in the eye.

"The Carnival is coming to town in exactly one week. He is expecting me to be there. He also expects me to be alone. This gives us an advantage." I sat back down, pulling Noah onto the arm of my chair. I leaned my head against his arm and fixed my eyes on Issac.

"If there is anyway to check the loyalties of the police, do that. We don't know how many my father has in his back pocket."

Issac jolted up, nodding like a bobble head. "Of course! I'll do that - I'll do that right now." He pulled out his phone and hurried from the room. Wether from fear of the tension or eagerness to help, I had no clue.

"As for the rest of you," I shifted in my seat, clearing my throat and trying to act powerful. "We need to still act separated. As much as possible. Fight at school, I don't care. But give my father the idea that I am alone."

Jay suddenly turned to Noah and grinned. Instantly, I exhaled in relief. His grin was so real, so bright and happy. Noah smiled back - less beaming, but just as relieved as I was.
"What do you say, Jay? Think you can beat me up tomorrow?"