Chapter 5 : The Lightning Bolt Of The Gods

Jay sat next to Cinder's hospital bed, watching as she took in breaths at a rhythmic rate. The heart monitor next to her bed beeped at a rhythmic pace as well, adding an eerie constant noise throughout the room. The male doctors words repeated in his mind, sending a wave of thoughts throughout his mind.

"She's always had a sickness, called 'Morra's Curse'. It's named for the first person who died because of this illness: It causes headaches and sometimes constant puking, however in extreme cases the sickness causes comas. This is an extreme case. Soon, the coma escalates into the bodily functions shutting down which then leads to death. There's a cure, however it is quite expensive. The procedure for the cure costs 7 million yen." The doctor had said to him earlier.

"You said that she's always had this? How is it possible since she's a fighter at the 'Dark Arena'?" Jay had responded.

"Her symptoms were headaches, ranging from horrible to light. This is the first time that it's been this serious." The doctor said before adjusting his glasses. Then, he politely excused himself from the room saying he had other patients to attend to and that her nurse would return to keep watch over Cinder.

Jay's mind suddenly shot back to Ozpin's words.

"Which is why I have a proposal: I want you to participate in tomorrow's main match and win. Do that, and I'll ensure that Artemis survives no matter what." Ozpin had stated.

Although Jay didn't know much about Cinder, other than the fact that she was utterly gorgeous and stunning, he just couldn't stand seeing someone suffering from a disease when he had the chance to cure her.

Unbeknownst to anyone Jay had a little sister. She was only the age of four when her own disease had landed her a place in the hospital. The disease, unknown to mankind at the time, took his younger sister's life a year later. He was seven then. His father had then murdered his mother only a month after the passing of his sister. It was a string of terrible events happening back-to-back.

Jay nodded his head to himself as Cinder's nurse, Nurse Lenor, walked in and told him visiting hours were over.

---

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PLEASE AID ME IN WELCOMIING TO THE ARENA OUR TWO CONTESTANTS FOR THE MATCH OF THE NIGHT!!!!" The shout-caster's voice boomed around the large stadium.

"THE FIRST FIGHTER TO BE INTRODUCED WHOSE RAW ABILITIES ALONE NEARLY BESTED ARES, OUR CHAMPION; WHOSE FISTS TRADED BLOWS WITH NEARLY EVERY FIGHTER IN THE DARK ARENA, A VETERAN WHEN IT COMES TO THE MATCH OF THE NIGHT; AGNI, THE ACCEPTOR OF SACRIFICES!!!" Just like the fight with Ganesha, the spotlight revealed a dark-skinned man with a mask that had two sides to it, an orange and a yellow side. The center of the mask was split by a winding white line. Not only that, but the mask hid the eyes of Agni behind black cloth. Considering that eyesight to most of the fighters was important, Jay speculated that the cloth was see through as he couldn't find a reason as to why a fighter would blind themselves on purpose. The rest of his armor was colored similarly with orange and yellow décor followed by white linings on the edges.

"AND NEXT, THE UP AND COMING ROOKIE OF THE YEAR; MANY OF YOU SAW HIM EARLIER IN THE WEEK UTTERLY CRUSH, PLEASE WELCOME: ZEUS, THE GOD OF LIGHTNING!!!" Another spotlight suddenly shined on Jay. revealing his standard outfit of a black vest with the letters of "D.A." just above his heart. Underneath his vest he wore a plain white shirt with blue jeans.

"LET THE BATTLE BEGINNNN!!!!"

Instantly, Agni shot himself forward, his right fist covered in flames. Jay barely dodged the strike before jumping out of the way of the fist when Agni's left fist suddenly followed Jay's movements. Without warning, Agni's left fist lodged itself in Jay's lower gut, sending him flying. He tumbled in the dirt before catching himself, however Jay was not given a moment to rest as Agni came flying at him once more. This time, however, Jay was ready. he quickly launched himself up to his feet and blocked the Agni's flurry of blazing fists. Suddenly, Agni jumped back before launching three fireballs from his palms. Jay was caught off guard by this maneuver, as shown when the fireballs slammed into him in three places; his lower ribcage, his left leg, and his arms that were crossed across his chest from when he was blocking Agni's barrage. The blasts of flame exploded, smothering Jay in a cloud of black smoke.

Several seconds passed with no movement from the smoke. After several more seconds, the smoke disappeared to reveal Jay lying face-down in the dirt, unmoving.

"IT SEEMS THAT ZEUS IS UNCONSCIOUS! AGNI, OUR SECOND PLACE FIGHTER NEXT TO ONLY ARES, HAS DEFEATED ZEUS IN AN OVERPOWERING FASHION!!!" The shout-caster screamed into his microphone.

---

"This is the first time that it's been this serious."

"There's a cure, however it is quite expensive."

"I'll ensure that Artemis survives no matter what."

Agni had turned his back to Jay, walking back towards the tunnel he had come out from when a massive lightning bolt suddenly crashed into the arena. Agni snapped around, his hidden eyes landing on his opponent returning to his feet.

"WHAT'S THIS!? JUST WHEN ALL HOPE SEEMED LOST, AN ENORMOUS LIGHTNING BOLT HAS JUST SLAMMED INTO THE ARENA, CRUSHING ZEUS! IS THIS PUNISHMENT FOR LOSING!? OR ANOTHER CHANCE FOUR OUR KING OF ROOKIES!?" The shout caster quite literally shouted.

"Sorry, Agni." Jay began. The lightning bolt that was supposed to be crushing him continued striking him, although he wasn't feeling any pain. Him being struck by a gigantic lightning bolt was signaling that Raiku, his lightning spirit with it's own mind, was fusing with him for a time. This recharged his power and multiplied it many times over.

"But I cannot afford to lose." Jay said as he suddenly disappeared from Agni's view just before reappearing in front of Agni, his fist slamming into Agni's face.