Chapter 14

-Elizabeth's POV-

Kol continued to comfort me, and eventually, I calmed down.

“You done, sweetheart?” Kol whispered. I felt his cocky smirk go on his face. “You do know I just allowed you to ruin a perfectly good shirt... I must really like you.” I leaned away, looked him in the eye, and then started laughing.

“Wow. Good to know someone is still the same.” I chuckled. He continued to smirk. Then he looked me up and down.

“So, besides from having your heart broke, what have been doing since I've been gone?” he asked. I looked at him and thought.

“Well after leaving Klaus, I traveled Europe. I wanted to get away from him, and since he was in the States, I decided to go across the pond.” I smirked. “I tasted a lot of delicacies, Italians, some French, I even tried a Pollock – he wasn't that great...” I said, and Kol chuckled.

“Glad to see my ripper is still intact.”

“Well, kinda. I didn't have my humanity on, and to get out all the pain, I just ate.”

“And now?”

“Well, for the last few decades I've been back traveling the US, visiting some places I had always wanted to go, but never got the chance to while chasing Katerina, and evading Mikael – Hollywood, the Grand Canyon, etc. etc. My humanity was still off, but I learned to control my ripper. Blend in, and stay longer, you know. But I just came back home to visit my brother's graves – I didn't know they were alive, of course – and found them here, alive and well instead.”

“Yes, I was quite shocked when I was awoken and found your brothers causing all sorts of trouble...” he remarked, smirking at me. I chuckled.

“Yeah, they told me all about it. Not that I blame them – I probably would have done some of the same things in my hatred of Klaus.” Kol's smile faded.

“You hate Klaus?” he asked. I looked at him.

“Of course. He killed you – kinda – and was only using me. Of course I hate him!”

“Ah, come now, sweetheart. We both know that you have always and will always love him, as I am sure he loves you.” Kol says. I scoff.

“Yeah, he loves me so much that I am only a distraction to him.”

“He didn't mean that, love. He was using that to get to me.” he explained. I thought. I just couldn't believe it, not yet.

“Maybe that's true, maybe not. But right now, I don't want to think about that. I just want to spend some time with my best friend...” I smiled. He smiled back, then looked like he was thinking.

“And what of your humanity now?” he asked suddenly.

“Huh?” I asked, confused by this line of questioning. He looked at me.

“Is your humanity on or off?”

“Oh...” I paused, and thought.

“I think it's on.” I said, surprised. When did that happen? “All these reunions today must have turned it on...” he looked at me and smiled.

“Good.” he said. I looked at him shocked.

“You're in favor of humanity?” I asked. He smirked.

“Yes, love. Maybe not for myself, but believe it or not, I like you better with humanity. You would probably be a bitch without it, and though that might be fun for awhile, I'm the only true badass this world can handle. Can you imagine our non-humanity rampages together?” he said, chuckling. I thought about it and cringed.

“That would not be good.” I whispered.

“No, it would not.” he said. “So, for now, your humanity should stay on. Of course, that doesn't mean we can't go on a killing spree. What do say, my little ripper?”

I thought about it. Stefan and Damon wanted me to control my ripper, but with Kol, he didn't judge and it was always fun with him. As I debated it in my head, Kol sat looking at me, his smirk slowly fading.

“What is it, sweetheart?” he finally asked.

“Well, my brothers want to help me control my ripper...” I started. He stared at me then scoffed.

“Really?! Well, that is no fun...” he said. I looked at him and smiled.

“Maybe not for you. But you know, I don't really enjoy my ripper side, especially with my humanity on...” He looked at me, shocked.

“Maybe we should turn that off.” he murmured, more to himself than me. Then he looked back at me. “You don't like the ripper?” he asked. I shrugged.

“Not really. I hate that I am killing people and destroying their lives. I've learned to control the head ripping aspect of it, but all my victims still end up dead. I hate the death.” I said. He looked shocked.

“Then why continue to do it for all those years?” he asked. “Why not try to control it before?”

“Because both you and Klaus loved that side of me.” I said, lowering my head. “And...I was a little worried, if I stopped, neither of you would love me any more...” I peeked up. He was staring at me, in total shock.

Suddenly, he picked my head up, and forced me to look him in the eye.

“Elizabeth, you are my best friend. And while I do enjoy our sprees together, that is not even a factor in how I feel for you. Ripper or not, I love you. You are beautiful, and full of light. You're funny, and sweet, and caring. There are so many things that I love about you. The ripper does not affect my feelings for you.” he said, looking me dead in the eyes. I could see the truth reflecting in them, and my tears watered, and I pulled him into a hug.

He hugged me back, and we just sat there in our tight embrace for a few minutes.

“Thanks Kol.” I whispered into his shoulder. “And you know, I feel the same about you. If you were to give up all the killing, I would still love you. You would still be my best friend.” I felt his smirk.

“I know, sweetheart. But all the same, I will keep on killing. It's my favorite past time.” he said. I laughed and pulled away.

“Okay.” I said. He smiled, then turned serious again.

“If you want to stop being a ripper, I will help you control it, even if it means working with your brothers.” I smiled at him.

“Thank you, Kol.” I said. “But I think we should wait to start until tomorrow...”

He smirked. “And why is that, love?” he asked, though he already knew the answer.

“Because tonight, me and my newly awakened best friend are going out to have some fun.” I said, smiling.

A/N: Just a quick chapter. We get to see a little more about the more recent past of Elizabeth, and more on her and Kol's relationship – which is adorable. As always, let me now what you think. Until next time.