one

7 days later (friday) 6:30 am—

"Charlie! Get up!" Alex called me. I groaned in response.

"Charlie come on! It's your first day at your new school!" Alex pulled the covers off of me.

"Fuck off," I mumbled, pulling the blanket back on me. "Let me sleep."

"It's 6:35. Your going to be late," she insisted.

I reluctantly rolled out of my creaky bed, and walked to the bathroom, getting ready for my first day at my new school in Chicago.

I threw some clothes on, not really giving a fuck. Nobody knows me here. Or will care about who I am. So why would it really matter?

I wore a Beatles band t-shirt and black ripped jeans with my white converse.

"You look cute," Alex smiled at me.

"Thanks, but a compliment isn't going to make everything all better. Why did we move here? It's still the hood. I'd rather be back in Bosto-"

"Do you want breakfast?" she interrupted me. I knew exactly what Alex was doing.

She hates when I bring up Boston, or our "parents". Alex wants to forget all that. Erase it from her memory. But years of the same shit— abuse, guns going off 24/7, cop cars up and down the street— you can't just forget that. She's actually really pissed off and not doing a very good job of hiding it.
Plus, we don't even have anything for breakfast.

I guess I could see why she was mad though. I always asked her why we moved to the south side. And she always gave me the same answer...

"It's cheap. You know we can't afford anything else."

I decided not to start arguing and just head out.

"I'm gonna to go now. Love you Alex," I told her, grabbing my bag from the small dining room table, if you could even call what we have in our kitchen a table.

"Bye, love you more. Be safe Charlie. Also, who knows? Maybe you'll make friends. Meet a cute boyyyy..." Alex smirked and nudged my shoulder.

I lightly laughed. "Whatever. Bye big sis."