Chapter 2

***Author's Note: Please don't hate me for this chapter.  There are a few things I need to progress in the story and this has to happen to get them in motion.  Sorry.  The last section may be slightly mature—just a warning.***

(Hosanna's POV)

We all step through the metal detector and wait for the remainder of our party. When everyone has come through, David Sullivan enters the room with his assistant, a few guards, and Matthew. I smile at them and am tempted to run up and hug them but Eric holds me back so they can greet the room.
"Leaders and honored guests from Chicago," David starts. "Welcome to The Bureau Of Genetic Welfare."

I look around and realize that everyone in our group looks completely baffled. I step forward beside David. "Do you mind if I rephrase?" I chuckle.
He grins. "Please do so, sweetheart," he says hugging me and kissing my head. I squeeze Matthew's hand before turning around and addressing my fellow citizens.
"I'm going to assist David today. First of all, you look confused. The name of our city is Chicago. It's written on a few buildings in the city if you look closely. We all refer to this place as the Bureau, for short," I explain.
I look to David and nod at him to continue. "You are standing in the remnants of Chicago's O'Hare International Airport. We currently use this building for mostly research and development. We monitor and study the city and have been for the last two hundred years," he says.
The room still looks confused. "Um... we're in an airport. The machines you saw in the air on the way in are actually called airplanes. This is like a hub for air travel," I begin. There are gasps in our group. "International..." I say to myself thinking of how to relay this.
Eric steps forward. "The world is round and massive. I'm sure David can show you a large map of the planet but it's indescribable how small our city is compared to the world outside. We are in a country—a ruling body like our city but substantially larger, divided up into smaller provinces called states. Outside of this country, there are many countries—also known as nations. Some even speaking other languages and looking differently. People are able to travel quickly in the air from city to city, state to state, and even country to country: international," Eric elaborates.
"Wow, thank you," David whispers quietly to us. I nod. He begins again to address the crowd, "We have refurbished one of our hotels for your large group to stay comfortably for the remainder of the trip. We will take you all there momentarily.  We would like for everyone to receive inoculations today since this is such a large group. We've never had more than a couple people arrive at a time and we'd hate for any new diseases to make you sick or those within the wall on your return. We also ask that you agree to participate in a study on genetics. We request that you get a test done for us to read your genetic material. We're looking for healed genes since your ancestors had tampered with them previously.
"I would like to apologize for rejecting those who were older from joining us, which was a substantial amount of citizens in Abnegation. Also those not in the best of health were also rejected," David explains and I look to the group dressed in grey. There aren't as many Abnegation as I expected. "The problem is if someone happens to get sick or have an allergic reaction from the inoculations or anything else here, the reaction for the elderly and others not in their prime may be much more severe."
I notice the Abnegation nodding in understanding.
"I'll take you through to our control room first," David explains leading the way. I follow behind with my husband.  I can hear the murmur of the crowd behind us discussing everything we've just explained.  I'm sure that alone is mind-boggling.  I notice Tris and Mia come up along my sides and each loop an arm around me. 
"You've really been here before?" Mia questions.  I nod. 
"Those airplanes look interesting," Tris comments. 
"I can ask David if we can go skydiving," I say. 
"Sky-diving?" she questions intrigued as if tasting the words on her tongue. 
"It's like zip lining but a million times better," I explain. 
"Count me in," Tris chimes in quickly. 
"Me, too," Mia adds clapping. 
"See," I say to Mia bumping her hip.  "I told you I can have two best friends."
They both giggle in response. 
David leads us to the control room.  I glance around at the screens as everyone else does for a moment.  I recall how much more they view than what we do in Dauntless.  Something occurs to me though when I notice more and more of the cameras are showing Erudite.  I look to David in question.  "Nobody is fighting our feed right now so we can log in and we're not blocked.  We have to enter everything manually for each camera though so it takes some time," he tells me. 
I smile.  "That's good news," I say. 
"What are you talking about?" Max inquires curiously.  I explain the details of what's been going on and he looks up to the screens. 
"So this whole situation with Erudite could've been avoided if we knew what they were up to?" he questions. 
David nods.  "Why is it that each faction is in control of their own headquarters?" Max asks. 
"That was never intended.  Norton set that up years back.  He and Jeanine saw eye to eye on most issues.  He was a little more ruthless than she.  She was smarter though and found our code, blocking us from watching," David elaborates.  "We'll discuss the cameras eventually but it's not our top priority.  We want to make sure all of your health is taken care of first and your minds, too.  I know this is a lot to take in so we'll stretch out everything throughout the week.  We don't want anyone passing out from overloading," David explains patting my shoulder gently.