Chapter 8 (Eric's POV)

I called my dad last night and sent him an image of the note.  We're at breakfast waiting on Four to see how it went with Tris last night.  They left the bar together after we talked.  He figured that he ought to take her back before he loses his nerve and gets too drunk to explain.  He didn't think anything of the contact at the time, but as I explained what Nita did to me, he realized that it wasn't just friendly contact.  Each time she did it, she was telling him something that may have caused a response and that was probably her way of distracting from a negative reaction.  It's just like she behaved with me and Sam apparently, but it was a red flag to a married man that she's nuts. 
My dad said they'd look into the recordings from the other day and listen in closer to the conversations she had with everyone.  He wants to make sure that she's not turning anyone against us.  We're all going to the control room tonight and see what she's up to whether Four meets her or not. 
I notice Four and Tris enter breakfast together.  Tris appears really upset and Four looks guilty.  It must've not gone well, like they had an epic fight similar to mine and Hosanna's.  They help themselves to the breakfast buffet.
I cut into my pancakes and take a bite.  They're really good.  "Max would probably like these," Hosanna says.  "He loves banana bread and these taste a lot like mine," she explains. 
"They do," I comment.  I thought they tasted familiar. 
Four and Tris sit at the table beside us, but Four is to my right and Tris is next to Hosanna.  It must've gone really bad.  "The pancakes are good," Hosanna tells Tris. 
"Yeah, they are," she responds softly after taking a bite. 
"Did you sleep well?" Hosanna asks.  Tris just shrugs. 
My wife rubs her back and leans her head on her friend's shoulder.  I look to Four in question.  He's not even paying attention.  He's just moving his scrambled eggs around on his plate.  "I thought those were your favorite," I say taking a sip of coffee. 
"Meh," he replies with a shrug. 
"So we're watching what happens no matter what tonight.  Have you come to a decision?" I ask. 
"I told you I'm in," Four says solemnly.  He glances at Tris. 
"Alright," I respond.  "You know, you don't have to if it's a problem."
A moment passes as he puts a bite of eggs in his mouth and masticates on it slowly.  "No, the more I thought about it, the more it angered me.  Now that I'm completely sober, I'm more irritated than anything.  It was one thing when I was single and girls like Lauren or Rosie hit on me, it's something completely different when a woman knows I'm involved.  She's seen us together on the screens and still tries to push herself on me.  I didn't even think anything of it at first but you're right, she was trying to manipulate me.  Now, I think I'm ready to manipulate her into finding out what the hell is so important to do that to someone," he says shoveling another bite in his mouth angrily. 
"Language!" Hosanna whispers harshly at her brother. 
He just looks at her for a moment.  "Sorry," he says apologetically.  "I'm just upset," he responds. 
"So Max said last night that I'm going to something later about the genetic map on damaged and pure genes?" Tris questions confused. 
"Oh, well we were invited to see Elliot's soccer game this afternoon.  You're kind of covering so we can spend time with Eric's family," Hosanna explains.  "Is that okay?"
Tris's expression softens for the first time since joining us.  She looks to me and nods.  "That's fine.  I hadn't realized.  I'm sure I'll understand better than the other Dauntless.  Perhaps I'll sit beside Caleb since he's such a Nose," she smiles. 
We continue eating quietly for a few minutes.  Tris breaks the silence, "So did Nita really hit on you, Eric?"
"Yeah," I say looking up from my plate to meet her concerned eyes. 
"When?  You didn't have a test done the other day and that's what she was administering," she asks curiously. 
Is that what this is about between them—trust?  I explain that it was my first time here.  I didn't like the way she looked at my wife initially which made me immediately dislike her.  When she tried to touch me, I hurt her—not intentionally but out of anger. 
"What'd you do?" Tris questions, practically on the edge of her seat. 
"I grabbed her hands and squeezed, probably bruising them.  I said if anything of hers ever came in contact with me again, I'd break it.  That's most likely why she kept her distance from me last night and didn't come near to touching me.  Every time she looks at me, she turns pale or shrinks away.  She actually tried to grow a backbone last night and stand up to me but it only lasted about ten seconds before she scurried out the door," I explain. 
Tris laughs.  When she calms down she looks at Four.  "See.  He didn't let her touch him.  He threatened her," she says irritatedly to him. 
Four just stares at his plate, continuing to push the remaining eggs around. 
"In his defense, he had several beers last night," I explain.  "It dulls the senses somewhat.  He hadn't even realized she put a piece of paper in his hand."
Tris looks to Four in question.  He shrugs.  "I just thought she was being friendly.  I really wasn't paying that much attention to her.  I was more interested in my beer since it was different from what's inside the fence... and she's not you," he explains. 
That makes her smile.  She leaves her plate and walks over taking a seat on his lap.  She kisses him and wraps her arms around his shoulders.  "I'm sorry," he says—clearly not the first time today. 
"I know," she nods.  She kisses him again and I reach out for my wife's fingers, stroking the back of her hand with my thumb. 
Max approaches the table smiling at the two Stiffs kissing sweetly beside me at breakfast.  He clears his throat.  Hosanna takes Tris's plate and slides it over toward me.  I push it closer to Four.  Max laughs and sits in the newly vacated seat beside my wife. 
"You didn't get the pancakes?" Hosanna asks him confused. 
"No, why?" he questions. 
"They taste just like my banana bread," she tells him.  He stands quickly, walking back over into the line to get a second plate.  My wife and I chuckle in response. 
"Why is it that we're never alone?" Tris whispers to Four. 
"There's a quiet hallway down around the corner if you two need some alone time," Hosanna laughs pointing to a doorway. 
Tris rolls her eyes still holding on to Four.  "Yeah, being broadcast for the entire Bureau to see," she says sarcastically. 
"You know, George is working the control room this morning.  He owes me a big favor," Hosanna says fiddling with her phone. 
"What does that mean?" Four questions. 
I laugh.  "That means that he'll make sure nobody else is watching the screen but him," I point out. 
"Privacy?" Tris grins snuggling up to Four. 
"Privacy," Hosanna nods. 
"How do you know he'd do that though?" Four questions. 
"Because he already said it's clear," my wife grins showing us the response on her phone. 
They both get up and walk away holding each other's hands, trying to give some semblance of nonchalance but failing miserably.  I hear them giggling when they run down the hallway. 
"What's going on with them?" Ryan asks taking a seat across from us. 
"They're busy cutting each other's hair and tying each other's shoes," I chuckle.
Hosanna slaps my chest doubling over with laughter.