Chapter 4

Nobody moved. It was as if this was a dream that you had to fight to stay in.

"So," Sophie said. Her voice was raspy. Keefe cleared his own throat because of how painful her voice sounded. "Are we just not talking about what happened? Why you're staring at me? Why," she cleared her throat, "Why do I sound like a smoker?"

Linh was the first to break out of the trance. She crushed Sophie into a strangling hug.

"Geez Linh, what did I do to you?" Sophie responded, smiling.

"Next time you decide to go crazy while on a suspicious drug, I'll be more gentle." Linh responded. Sophie's eyebrows furrowed.

"Oh no. What did I do?" Sophie asked.

Keefe started to respond, but Mr Forkle cut in before he could even say a word.
"There will be plenty of time for that." He said. "Currently, we need to check Sophie's vitals." Mr Forkle glared at Livvy.

"Oh, yeah, definitely. All of you can wait outside." Livvy said too quickly.
"I am not leaving!" Keefe exclaimed loudly. He wasn't even embarrassed. "I was the one who rescued her. I brought her all the way back here. I–"

"Keefe, I'm okay now. You don't need to stay here." Sophie refused to look at him. "Honestly, I feel like I just woke up from a coma. I'll still be here. Okay?" Sophie looked into Keefe's eyes for too long. Fitz coughed.

Keefe backed away. "Okay," he said, barely audible.

"Thank you." Sophie whispered.

Livvy herded everyone out of the room. "And stay out!"

"Your confidence in us is, as always, inspiring." Tam said drily, rolling his eyes.

Keefe leaned against the door moodily. Biana was pretending not to look at him, but her eyes kept flitting back to the blond boy.

"That was...weird." Linh said hesitantly.

"The Understatement of the Year Award? Right here, please." Keefe responded. Tam scoffed, ducking to get away from Keefe, who was flailing his arms over-dramatically. "Summary of today: Keefe brings Sophie home, awesomely by the way. Sophie is going crazy on weird drug. Sophie starts screaming. Sophie passes out. Sophie gives prophecy telling Amy to go and tells that the Neverseen is below the place where it started. Sophie is suddenly fine."

"Wait. Amy?" Fitz asked. "I need to check on her, to make sure she's okay."

"Fitz!" Biana called after him, but he was already gone. The remaining friends stared at each other. Without a warning, the door to the healing center swung back, dropping Keefe at Livvy's feet.

She looked down. "Hi Keefe."

"Never speak of this." Keefe warned the group. Tam, Biana and Dex were doubled over, with only Linh looking mildly concerned on Keefe's behalf.

Livvy bowed in Keefe's general direction and he seemed to remember that he could now see Sophie.

"Hey!" Sophie attempted to shout, but her voice was so scratchy it turned into more of a stage whisper. "I'm still awake! And alive!"

"Don't joke about that, Sophie." Keefe said too seriously. "Actually," He fidgeted, glancing at Mr Forkle. "I kinda really need to talk to Sophie."

"Me too." Sophie answered, blushing.
Did she know? Keefe wondered. It seemed impossible, and he sensed general feelings of confusion coming from her.

Keefe?

He hated when she transmitted to him. Sure, she said she blocked his thoughts, but how much could she really see?