Chapter 9

Keefe's POV

The Black Swan moved underground, in an angular underground cave structure. Mr Forkle insisted on 12 hour per day lights to be strung up all around the "windows," citing Vitamin D as the lights blinded half of the elves living there.

Sometimes Keefe thought that Sophie didn't realize exactly how long he'd been in love with her. She never realized how painful it was to see her flush whenever Fitz was mentioned, entered a room, or glanced at her. One time when they were alone, he brought it up.

"Sophie," Keefe said carefully, "I need to tell you something."

Sophie looked over. The lights made her hair glow and her smile was one of the best things on the Earth.

"How long do you think I...y'know...liked you?"

"If I had to say exactly when I guess it would be when you made me that necklace? Well a little before. I don't know!" Sophie wrapped her arms around him and rested her head on his shoulder.

"I've been in love with you since we traveled to get the cure for you from Mr Forkle." Keefe told her seriously.

Sophie gasped and covered her mouth. Her eyes watered and she said, "Keefe!" She kissed his temple. Keefe blushed. "Who's blushing now?" Sophie asked teasingly. She kissed his cheek, and forehead, and the tip of his nose. She tried to kiss his top lip but he leaned back so their lips met in the middle. Keefe could feel Sophie's smile against his lips. The kiss was way too short, but it was worth it when Sophie said, "I'll bet I was in love with you too before you realized."

"Oh really." Keefe said. "I call First Foster-Keefe Kiss of the Black Swan Hospital Wing."

Keefe counted it as a personal victory that Sophie had grown so used to the random things he said that she didn't flick an eyelash at the grand title he had just created.

"Noooooo!" Sophie objected. "When you gave me the necklace! That's why I said it, you idiot." Sophie rolled her eyes, and kissed Keefe again. Their kisses were addictive, like chocolate, and both were always finding excuses the kiss each other. Fitz would normally be the Grimacer, Biana would be the Squealer, Dex was the Ignorer, Tam was the Meaningful Glancer, and Linh was the Awwer. But now they were peacefully alone. Keefe was very aware of the ever-present warmth in his chest that never faded when he was around Sophie.

An alarm blared. Keefe and Sophie ran to the glowy golden room where Mr Forkle was most often situated. Mr Forkle was outside the door, and all three looked at each other in confusion. Sophie opened the door. Marella was sitting in Mr Forkle's chair, which was big enough to fit his disguised body and covered in silky-soft material. As she turned to them, Keefe noticed the tear tracks on her face.

"Another person is missing." She informed them. "My mother." She choked out. "She's been gone for two days and no one knows where she is."

Yeah, it's short. Yeah, most of you didn't realize it was short until I just mentioned it. Thank you thank you thank you for so many things! Here are some of them:
2k views and 101 votes (as of now)
Your continued support and patience
Your stories! My followers/readers are all  very talented.
To keep you updated, here are some things that have happened in the last few months:
I finished my second trimester

...of school, and there's only like 39-ish days left so that's good.
I participated in the school Walkout for gun control. 17 minutes of silence for the students murdered at Parkland.
I saw two (professional) musicals.
I had my birthday!

I read a lot of good books (on Wattpad and not)
Love you all!