Chapter 10

Sophie's POV

Sophie was out of it. She'd been out of the cave only a few times, and every time  had almost cost her her life. Marella had pushed herself into training for hours into the night.

There was an ever-present feeling of pressure below her ribs. Sophie would find that she was waking up twisting the threads of her emotions.

Keefe and Sophie would often sit in silence together. He began requesting certain songs from her music collection, and they would listen together, lying on the ground.

Sophie's undereye circles grew as dark as bruises once again. One day Mr Forkle took one look at her and said "You need to go home."

"What? I'm fine." Sophie responded faintly.

"You need to take a break. That's all." Mr Forkle said in a kind voice.

"Okay." Sophie said, her voice devoid of any emotion.

Edaline and Grady were overjoyed to see her, of course, but Sophie took to hiding out in her room for long hours of the day. Foxfire would be starting soon, and Sophie hoped that the old routine would help replace some of the numbness she felt.

Keefe couldn't visit too often now that Grady was nearby, but they organized a plan so that Keefe, Fitz and Dex could visit in equal ratios, to avoid alerting Grady of any relationships.

Sophie was able to shake a good portion of the shadows that had taken hold of her mind in the following weeks. She found that confiding in Keefe or her parents helped battle the monsters, and she carefully crafted a routine that was comfortable and healthy. Even if she was feeling terrible, she could sink into the routine and know that she wouldn't be regretting her decisions in the future.

Even with this improvement, Sophie was still very frustrated. She had let the shadows take over her mind, and now it seemed like she could never really get rid of them for the rest of her life.

She avoided thinking about Marella and her mother as much as she could, and Mr Forkle reassured her that there were several rescue missions in operation.

Strangely enough, as soon as the pressure was taken off of Sophie, she began to feel like she wasn't needed anymore. She was just there because she was the Moonlark, and most of her purpose was dried up.

The only constant through this whole mess was Keefe, and she couldn't even get up the courage to tell her parents about their relationship.

All this pressure had to let out sometime.

Keefe was over, and Edaline had lured them all down to eat some mallowmelt.

"I've gotta go now!" Keefe said. "Forkle wants my help with some sort of Empath thing."

"Bye, love you!" Sophie called after him without thinking. She gasped, but no one noticed.

"Love you too, babe." Keefe responded, not catching Sophie's slip-up and responding from muscle memory. The door closed behind him and Sophie remained silent. She took a bite of mallowmelt, feeling her parents staring at her.

"What was THAT?" Grady said, louder than normal.

"Um, nothing. It's a joke, yeah, that, yeah, um..." Sophie backpedaled desperately.

"I repeat, what was that?" Grady said angrily. Sophie didn't respond.

"Answer Grady's question, Sophie," Edaline said threateningly, although Sophie could tell that Edaline was smiling just the tiniest amount.

"I have something to tell you," Sophie said. Grady snorted.

"I should say so!" He muttered. Edaline gave him a look.

"Well, Keefe and I are kinda dating right now. And I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I'm actually really happy and he's really sweet and I'm sorry." Sophie admitted, almost not believing that she was the one saying these things.

Grady was stone-faced. Edaline was the one who talked first. "I'm so happy for you! Keefe's a very fine gentleman." Sophie squinted at her. "Young man. Boy. Guy? Man? Person? Elf?"

Grady finally spoke. "Thank you for telling me, anyways." He got up and stumped upstairs.

Sophie and Edaline looked after him.

"Tell me everything!" Edaline exclaimed. Sophie thought it might even be classified under "squeal." Sophie began her story, relieved to finally be able to tell someone. Biana had a crush on Keefe, so Sophie tried to avoid mentioning boys while in her presence. Linh was the listening type, and Sophie had too much she needed advice on. Of course, Sophie could never talk to Fitz or Dex about her relationships. Maybe Dex in the future. And Fitz...was too cute to talk around.

"It all started a few months ago, when Keefe saves me from the Neverseen..."