Susanna Pt 2

"So, Miss Markwardt, you recently left a position with the Honeycutt family?"

"Yes. I had been with them for ten years, taking care of their two boys and two girls."

"How did you come into their service?" Sherlock quizzed, eyes on her file.

"I met them back in the States when they were visiting the area on business. They were screening footage at the private cinema where I was working. I kept the children entertained and out of trouble, so Mr Honeycutt offered me the job."

"America?" John wavered.

"Yes. I am half-American, half-British. I mostly grew up in the south."

"That explains your accent." Sherlock remarked.

"But she sounds-"

"Like she's from here? Yes, but I detected a southern accent. She must be able to switch back and forth.."

"Yes. I can alternate between dialects well." Susanna confirmed flatly.

"And you aren't planning on returning to America?"

"No. I've established myself here."

"Okay then." John continued the interview up until Sherlock butted in once more.

"It doesn't say in your file that you have your own flat. Are you currently searching for one?"

"No. I just got one today, not far from here. And I have no problem commuting. That's why I got here early. I have a motorbike so I can get here fairly quickly."

"An MY18 Bonneville T100. Rather expensive model." Sherlock mused. John and Susanna blanched, but she quickly recovered.

"It was a parting gift."

Silence ensued for a few moments. John cleared his throat, retrieving her file from Sherlock, "Well, I think we should move on and introduce you to Rosie." Susanna nodded politely and smiled gently as John left to get Rosie. 

"Would you be able to handle gunshots and experiments?" Sherlock asked, "We have a lively environment."

"I have many brothers and grew up in a hectic family. Of course I can handle it. As long as you do not put me or Rosie in danger. Then I would have to intervene because it would be my duty to keep her safe and healthy." Susanna answered firmly. Sherlock began to deduce her.

She was 34 but already accomplished, having earned top honors in Child Psychology and Development and also completing a master's degree in Forensic Science, emphasis on Biochemistry and Psychology, also with top honors. She had earned her degrees in the latter as a back up plan, which meant she was considerably intelligent and astute. Her biological parents had divorced before she was born, but had kept in constant contact for her sake. Both had remarried. Large extended family. Conditioned to high-pressure stress and drama. She had many friends, acquaintances and associates, but was introverted and modest.

Susanna looked at him with a mixture of skepticism and amazement, but did not respond as John returned with Rosie. She brightened and stood up, greeting the little girl from afar.

Rosie warbled with curiosity as John brought her closer to Susanna, who stood with a relaxed composure and spoke gentle, warm words.

At first Rosie was skeptical, but lit up with glee the closer the two came together. She grasped for Susanna, who asked for permission to hold her. John handed his daughter off and the duo stood back to watch and observe. Susanna was a natural, easily balancing Rosie on her hip and swaying gently. Her movements were graceful, steady and coordinated.

Rosie giggled in amusement as she grabbed ahold of Susanna's silver locket, a simple oval with a shiny polish that caught the child's eye. Susanna chuckled and spoke to her as if she could understand Rosie's responses, almost playing both sides of a conversation and letting Rosie explore her. From her necklace to her face to her hair, Susanna remained calm and yet enthusiastic as Rosie's hands reached and gripped and pulled.

After Rosie finished her examination, she gazed up intently into Susanna's face. She listened, almost spellbound, to Susanna. John and Sherlock were baffled. Rosie had enjoyed many other nannies but had never liked them as much as she did Susanna. John and Sherlock exchanged knowing glances.

At long last Susanna returned Rosie to John, "She is developing very well for her age, by the way. Her motor skills are excellent," John gaped for a second, "I'm trained as a Psychologist and Behavioral-Developmental Expert, Dr Watson. When I was interacting with Rosie, I was assessing her capabilities."

John nodded, now understanding her previous statement; "Ohh."

Sherlock hummed, "John, shall we?" John nodded once more.

"Well, Miss Markwardt, I believe we've finally found the right nanny for Rosie."

"Can you start tomorrow?" Sherlock bluntly queried, garnering a sharp look from John and an amused smile from Susanna.

"No, Sherlock. We have to discuss many details first."

"This evening. Shall we begin?" Sherlock's eyes sparkled with excitement, knowing that soon he could be out with John solving cases without worrying for Rosie.

Things will speed up from here now that this sequence is finished! Please vote and comment!