Recovery Visit

It had been almost twenty four hours since the showdown with Brent Hatfield. Brooklyn had shot him and he had been in a secluded ICU with four guards since his surgery. He would live to face trial.

He'd slit Susanna's throat before he was shot, but she had managed to move so that it didn't gauge too deep and kill her. The doctors had been able to patch it up. Worse, actually, was that she was dehydrated, suffering a migraine, and hadn't had food in a week. That, combined with her other injuries, made for a grim diagnosis to present to her family and friends. But the prognosis was positive and she wasn't in the ICU anymore, which rendered some comfort.

John and Sherlock had left once the latter was assured that Susanna was in the clear and that Brent was in no way able to cause any more damage. John had gone home to Baker Street and picked up Rosie, while Sherlock had gone to 48 Ainsworth Rise.

He had taken it upon himself to watch Susanna's apartment and specifically to care for Barney Fife. He'd made sure that the flat was clean and spotless too, especially after the pipes had been spewing blood. Of course Susanna would probably wonder why almost all of her honey and tea had vanished, but Sherlock figured her mother would send more than enough to cover the loss.

To sum up, Sherlock had asked Zella for a copy of Susanna's key and the kindly lady had obliged.

Since he'd gotten to the flat he had busied himself with Susanna's books, reading through them in order to deduce her favorites. Barney had curled up on the Chaise and was sleeping soundly after a bit of playtime with the teaser stick.

Sherlock sighed as he finished another book and got up to put it away. Now he was decidedly bored, so he grabbed the remote and studied it before turning on the telly. He turned on her different systems and then turned them off. He just couldn't focus.

Ding!

He grabbed his mobile.

Susanna is stable and awake. She has been asking for you. -MH

On my way. -SH

Sherlock updated John and gave Barney a treat before heading to the hospital. Mycroft texted him her room number and John said he would bring Rosie, who had been particularly fussy since Susanna had not been around.

He went straight to the room once he got there and was almost surprised when he saw a guard posted outside. But the guard merely nodded and let him inside. Sherlock walked in and saw Brooklyn laying on the gurney next to Susanna, who was watching her friend type something on a PC. She had a nasal cannula, probably a precaution, and there was a wide flesh colored bandage-collar around her throat. He scanned further and noted a few IVs and monitors before approaching, "Oh, hello, Sherlock!" Brooklyn chirped and got up from the bed, shutting her PC and extending her hand to him. He shook once with her.

"Hello, Miss Brooklyn."

"I'll leave you two to chat. My boss wants me back at the office," She returned to Susanna's side for a second and kissed her cheek, "I'll be back later, Red. Bye!" With that she was gone and they were alone. Susanna smiled.

"Hey, Sherlock. I was wondering when you'd come see me." He slowly made his way to the bed and sat down in the chair beside it, crossing his legs.

"You were asking for me?"

"Yeah. I owe you an apology."

"For what?" She exhaled.

"Not remembering Brent. I don't even know why he wasn't the first person I thought of when we found the first four bodies."

"It wasn't your fault, Susanna, human memory is only so reliable." He reassured. She shook her head though.

"But I might have prevented the murders of twelve people." Silence fell for a bit.

"So he was a bully too?"

"Sorry?"

"Brent. He was one of your bullies." She paled and shook her head.

"No. He never bullied me."

"So he just decided to go on a killing spree?"

"I don't want to talk about it right now." She pled. Sherlock nodded, understanding that it might be a long while before she could be comfortable telling him. He frowned as his eyes fixed on her neck. 

"They were able to mend your neck?"

"Yeah. They had to put in some sutures but a lot of it is skin glue. Should be sealed up in a week. No permanent damage."

"Migraine?"

"Almost completely gone. I'm rehydrated and I've got some food in my system. Doctors are saying I should be out in a few days."

"Excellent. We're lost without our nanny," She blushed, "Please, we've been lost all week without you to help with Rosie."

"I'm glad to know that I'm appreciated," She smiled again, "Thank you for looking after Barney and the flat, Sherlock. That means a lot to me."

"Who told you?"

"You've got Barney's fur on your clothes and traces of honey around your lips," It was Sherlock's turn blush. She smiled before leaning to the nightstand. She opened the drawer, taking out his freshly laundered scarf, "And thank you for the scarf. I could have bled out if you hadn't used it to stop the flow."

He reached out and gently reclaimed the scarf, "Anytime."

Thank you for reading!!