Chameleon

"I'm taking your pulse."

Susanna was so shocked that she couldn't even blush as the words passed Sherlock's lips. He removed his hand from her neck and smirked as she probed, "Why? John's already checked me."

"Then he should've noted how elevated your pulse rate is." He mused.

"High stress situations tend to elevate pulse rate," She replied and huffed, "Why do you keep staring through me like that?"

"Like what?"

"... Like I'm suddenly the most interesting person in the world, Sherlock," He tensed, "Well? You've been eyeing me like that for a week and it's been grating at my nerves."

"So my continued deductions of you worry you more than being stalked by someone or some group that is armed and dangerous?"

"Have I done something wrong, Sherlock? Because I would like to know why you've been so focused on me."

"Please," Sherlock tsks, "You haven't messed up, if that's what you fear. I have just been interested enough to deduce you more than I normally would."

"Why?"

A few moments of tension passed before he cleared his throat, "Because you are a Chameleon."

"I'm a what?"

"Chameleon. You adapt and use your abilities to your advantage. Given your dynamic spectrum of skills and talents, you make for an intriguing study. Tell me, do you realize how easily you manipulate others?" Susanna gaped, "Or how you seem to blend instinct and skill with barely a second to think?"

"So my broad range of abilities, gifts and skills makes me a Chameleon?" She questioned, "And you're studying me all because I'm not an average woman?"

"Average person." Sherlock corrected. Susanna blushed and turned her head.

"I see. You're intrigued because I happen to be perplexing to you."

"That is an accurate deduction," He clicked, "I was correct. You have quite some difficulty accepting compliments and praise."

"Well I certainly don't expect any," She murmured, "And certainly not from you."

"But you crave it, admit it. It's nice to have your accomplishments recognized," Susanna stiffened and exhaled, "You're scared."

She turned back to him, "Scared of what?"

"You know you're not average. But you don't embrace your own genius."

"Sherlock." She warned.

"Why would such an intelligent woman like you put herself down despite all of her accomplishments and obvious success-?"

"Sherlock, that's enough! Just because I may not flaunt myself and my capabilities like a peacock like you do does not give you license to pick me apart simply because I perplex you!" Susanna hissed and jumped to her feet, "Unless you need me for anything more, I'm going to go home and hope to get rid of this migraine by dawn."

Susanna grabbed her purse and helmet, and power walked to her motor bike. Sherlock sat dumbstruck on the bench and watched her ride away. John, who'd seen their domestic, groaned.

"Sherlock, Susanna is being stalked by camouflaged gunmen and you let her leave!?" He scolded. Sherlock looked up at John.

"What?"

"Sherlock.., you idiot," John shook his head, "You're such a cock, you know that?"

"You've told me several times, John."

"What exactly did you say to make her run off?"

"In my defence she was the one who asked me why I've been so focused on studying her. I told her that she was like a Chameleon."

"Which I'm sure was flattering to her."

"I meant it as a compliment, John!" Sherlock snapped while folding his arms, "Then she called me a peacock and ran off."

John snorted, trying to stifle laughter, "I knew I liked her but I didn't think she would have the guts to call you out, mate!"

"Enough!" Sherlock bounded to his feet and straightened his coat, "She has information about her stalkers even if she doesn't realize it and we have to extract it if we're going to solve this case."

"Sherlock-"

"You stay here with Lestrade and Donovan. I will go and talk to Susanna." Sherlock explained and began striding to the curbside to flag a cabbie. John sighed and watched the detective drive off.

"Sherlock is a moron isn't he, Rosie?" He mused. Rosie cooed in response.

Sherlock didn't greet Zella at the front desk, going straight to the elevator and smashing the buttons several times. When he arrived at Susanna's door he pounded three times on the door, "Susanna!"

It took a minute before she answered the door, which was all the invitation he needed to enter, "Sherlock, what are you doing here?"

"Getting information!"

"About the stalkers? Sherlock, I don't have a clue!"

"We can start with the drug cartel. They probably know you're the one who caught their two operatives so they could easily hire hitmen to abduct or murder you for your troubles. But that is unlikely because a cartel wouldn't risk allowing three of their people to be captured." Susanna shut the door and walked past him to the chaise lounge, falling onto it and crossing her arms.

"I don't see my migraine receding at this point." She bemoaned.

"Susanna, think! You must know something about these stalkers! It's in there and we both know it." Sherlock compelled.

"I can't think straight with this migraine, Sherlock!" Susanna countered. The detective pursed his lips, "I haven't gotten any notes or threats. No messages of any kind."

Sherlock narrowed his eyes as Susanna's recently replaced phone lit up with an alert. He gestured for her to check it and when she did, all of the rosy color in her cheeks drained.

Thank you for reading!