The Crime Scene (Susanna POV)

I walk back out while braiding my hair and stop when I see Sherlock standing beside the lounge. He has a cup of tea in one hand, looking down towards Barney. He gazes up, "So this is Barney Fife."

"Yes. Back from the vet."

"Has he been diagnosed?" He reaches one open hand towards Barney, who mewls weakly and shivers to his feet. I nod.

"Inflammation in his spinal cord and brain, causing nerve degeneration which is why he was having seizures," I explain whilst monitoring my voice. His gray blue eyes fixate on me, gleaning everything they can. I smile as Barney rubs against Sherlock's hand and coat, chuckling at the detective's perturbed expression, "He likes you."

Sherlock pets Barney gently and then backs away, quickly finishing his tea and returning it to the sink, "Why did you not have tea ready, Susanna?"

"I wasn't expecting company this late. I don't normally make warm tea for myself," I reply, finishing my french braid and pinning it up underneath. Like Ziva at a crime scene. I smile to myself and dart to the remote, using it to power off the TV. Then I grab my thermos of ice tea, barely touched, and retrieve my purse. I stash my phone and the thermos in the purse, probably defying physics, and then kneel down to give Barney some attention. I rub noses with him, "I'll have Zella come and check on you, okay, Barn?" He rubs my face with his.

"We need to be going," Sherlock states, having bounded to the doorway. I stand up and sling my purse across my chest, walking over to the door, "Lestrade is wondering why I'm late. Would have helped if you'd had tea on."

"You didn't forewarn me, Sherlock. Not my fault." I quip and push him out into the hallway.

"Not your fault?"

"No." I lock my flat and tilt my chin up at him. Sherlock levels a stare at me before locking one hand around my forearm and pulling me to the lift. He says nothing until we're in a taxi.

"Next time have tea ready."

"Just give me a heads up and I will." He shifts.

"You've met Lestrade a few times but at the crime scene you will also meet Sergeant Sally Donovan and Andersen, the Forensic Scientist-"

"Then why are you bringing me if he's a-"

"Shut up! I told you that Andersen will not work well with me. Just ignore them and render your opinion on the scene once you've analysed it." I nod.

"Alright," I text Zella to watch Barney and then look out of the window, "So what's exactly happened?"

"Five dead bodies found in an old warehouse on the Thames. Appears to be gang related but Mycroft has suggested otherwise."

"So it's obviously of some importance to the government." I muse to myself. He gives me a twice over, having pulled out his phone to text or to look up information.

It's silent the rest of the way to the warehouse, where I do my best to tune out the police noise and shield my eyes from their strobe-like lights without attracting Sherlock's scrutiny. Luckily I have plenty of painkillers in my purse if I get a headache from the stimuli. I jump out first and Sherlock pays the cabbie before leading me through a maze of police cars, ambulances and people inside the rusty, dank warehouse. It's pretty well lit, I note, around the entrance and the main chambers. This leaves abundant darkness in other places. More than enough for an ambush or quick getaway though a passage.

The smell of death wafts into my nostrils well before we actually approach the taped off perimeter. Sherlock lifts it for me, and since I'm short I don't even have to duck, "Thank you." He gives a terse nod and we walk up to Lestrade, a woman who is presumably Sergeant Donovan, and a man in Forensics gear- Andersen.

"I was wondering where you were, Sherlock." Lestrade remarks before setting eyes on me.

"I had to pick Susanna up. John is out with Rosie and I saw fit to bring her." Sherlock explains.

"Her? Is this another colleague?" The woman mocks. I straighten up and level her with a half-lidded gaze. She shifts uncomfortably, pitifully returning the glower.

"She's currently Rosie's nanny but is also a qualified Forensic Scientist and Psychologist. She is here as my assistant, Sally."

"I'm the Forensic Scientist!" Andersen, I assume, whines.

"I'm not here to replace anyone. I'm simply here as a second opinion for Sherlock." I soothe, holding out my hand. Andersen, taken aback, blanches at me before shaking my hand. I politely ignore Sally.

Sherlock drags me from there to the actual scene. Five bodies; two male and three female. Scattered in a circular pattern in the main chamber. Ranging in age from early twenties to forties. Sherlock slaps a pair of gloves into my hands and I quickly pull them on, feeling a surge of adrenaline.

"Let's begin, shall we?" I nod eagerly and he manages a quirky side smile.

Three chapters in one day! Things will be speeding up from here now that I've finished the introduction, as it were. Thank you for reading and shout out to VelvetVanity!