Chips? Pt 2

When they arrived at the Chip vendor, Susanna was surprised that there was actually one still open at eleven pm. She stepped out, rather than jumped, and slung her purse across her body. Sherlock paid the cabbie and then joined her, "The Chips here are the best in London. They're used to me coming at a late hour." Sherlock explained and walked towards the stand. Susanna nodded and followed him. He ordered two large baskets to go before belatedly considering Susanna's preference. He looked at her and she smiled.

"Thank you, Sherlock." Her eyes where unfocused and foggy. He narrowed his eyes and then led her to a nearby covered bench.

"Sit here."

"Sherlock-"

"You have a lot to do tomorrow and I can't have the nanny out with a migraine, can I?" He pressed her down onto the bench and then retrieved the chips. She had one hand massaging her temple, her eyes shut tight, "You did well hiding your chronic migraines from myself and John. Obviously you take care to avoid triggers and take regular medication for them." She sighed.

"I've gotten used to dealing with them," She murmured, nodding in thanks as she accepted her basket from Sherlock, "This one is hardly anything. I'll be fine by morning." She paused for a moment before digging into the chips. Sherlock had already started his, and watched her out of the corner of his eye.

"You're shaking."

"I'm coming down from an adrenaline and a caffeine high," Susanna responded, "I didn't expect to be running from serial killers tonight, dodging bullets and running around a warehouse in the middle of the night."

"You should have told me before wandering off. I brought you along as a second opinion. Not to play cat and mouse with a drug cartel, Idiot."

"Sorry..." She finished her chips and threw away the basket, taking out napkins from her purse and cleaning up. Sherlock tossed his empty basket in too and readjusted his coat. Susanna had sat back down on the bench, texting someone with a blank expression. Sherlock waited until she was done before approaching her.

"Come on, then." She nodded and he flagged down another cabbie. This time they headed for Ainsworth Rise. Sherlock texted John to update him, and added the freshly solved case to his own blog. Upon Susanna's request he omitted her involvement.

Sherlock walked Susanna back to her flat, wanting to make sure she wasn't going to pass out and surely get a concussion. She smiled gently at him as she unlocked her door, "You didn't have to come all the way up here, Sherlock."

"Can't have the nanny pass out and get a concussion." Sherlock explained. She almost chuckled.

"Alright then. Well, thank you for the Chips and for letting me help you with the case, Sherlock." He shrugged.

"No need to thank me so much, Susanna. Just make sure you get rid of that migraine by tomorrow morning." He instructed and she nodded slowly.

"Of course, Sherlock." She gestured in farewell and then stepped inside with a quiet 'good night'.

Sherlock stayed outside the flat for a minute before setting off to 221B Baker Street. His mind was active, cycling between the case and Susanna.

"Idiot. Utter idiot." He whistled as he mentally reviewed her performance. But within, he held some pride for Susanna's courage and intelligence. Some.

Susanna tried to relax enough to sleep, but kept envisioning Sherlock's sharp blue eyes staring into her own.

Please consider voting and leaving a comment! Thank you!