Red Water

"Is it a clue?" Sherlock demanded, ready to snatch her phone away. Susanna shook her head and clicked it off.

"No. Worse."

"How could not getting a clue be worse?" Sherlock mused. Susanna pressed her lips into a thin line.

"Brooklyn texted. She knows. So essentially everyone else in my family knows what's going on," She explained, "When it comes to me, my family makes everything their business. Especially if it could appear that I am at risk."

Sherlock noticed the way she had gone rigid, "You don't like when your family gets involved."

"I've been evacuated on four separate occasions. My Dad works for Mycroft and my Ma has an extensive network. She and my stepdad both do. They sneak me out of wherever and place me in a safehouse for weeks. I appreciate their concern, but I hate being smothered and attracting attention," Susanna groaned and massaged her temples, "I still can't think of anyone who would be stalking me."

Sherlock tsked, "Go and rest. If you can get your migraine to stop then you might be able to recall information. I will notify Mycroft and stay here in case your stalkers decide to visit."

"Alright. I think I'll just go and have a quick shower. That helps." She was too put out to protest. Susanna made her way down the hall to the furthest on her right. Sherlock typed  up the message to Mycroft, updated John, and then decided to have another look around the flat to see if he could find anything helpful.

Barney had come out of the bedroom and all but attached himself to Sherlock's ankles, meowing and purring loudly as the detective paced around while trying to ignore the feline, "Barney, I'm trying to solve this case and you're going to-"

CRASH!!

Sherlock tripped and fell over Barney's tail, which prompted the cat to howl and bat at him scurrying under the chaise lounge. Susanna called, "What happened?!"

"Your feline companion tripped me! Not my fault!" Sherlock huffed in response, picking himself up and dusting off his blazer and trousers.

"Make sure Barney's alright. If he's hiding under the chaise again then give him a couple treats to coax him out. He shouldn't be under there. They're in a bag on the counter!" She directed.

"What about me?"

"I'm sure that the world's only consulting detective can survive tripping on my frail feline companion."

Sherlock begrudgingly went to the kitchenette and retrieved the bag of treats for Barney. He heard Susanna exit her bedroom and enter the bathroom but pushed it to the back of his mind, focusing on Barney. I don't think John would approve of me neglecting her cat when she's already distressed.

Bending down and holding out one treat, "Barney, come out," The cat leaned a bit and sniffed the air near the treat but didn't budge, "Come on. You're owner said you're not supposed to be under there."

"!!" Sherlock bolted upward when he heard a distinct shriek followed by loud thumps coming from the bathroom. He ran down the hallway and threw open the bathroom door.

His eyes first landed on Susanna who was sitting on the floor, covered only with a thick shower robe, having obviously staggered and fallen backwards. A few plastic bottles of soap and product had fallen off of the counter around her. Perhaps she had tripped herself after mocking him? He opened his mouth to tease her but then saw the cause of her fright.

The shower was running, hot and steamy now, but the water wasn't clean, clear and crisp smelling. It wasn't water at all.

Blood. Watered down, perhaps, but it was thick and filled the room with the odor of iron. The shower head spewed it onto the shower walls, the frosted glass doors, and because the doors were open the blood was also splattering outside onto the bathroom tile and walls. Susanna's front was covered in scarlet and she was breathing fast, almost hyperventilating. Sherlock pulled her further from the shower and reached into the shower, fumbling a bit with the knob until he shut the flow off.

He moved to the sink and turned on the tap. It sputtered clear water for a second before it too turned to blood. Then he checked the toilet. Same result.

Susanna was still on the floor, tremoring. Sherlock took out his phone to call John and Mycroft straight away but felt compelled to focus on Susanna. He set his phone on the counter and knelt in front of her, "Are you okay, Susanna?" At first she didn't respond but she gave a very slight nod.

"I'm not hallucinating am I, Sherlock?"

"No. You're not."

Thank you for reading!!