Daddy Daycare

Sam's POV

Katrina and I split up two years ago after our daughter Juno was born. At the time we were only twenty and the pregnancy was an accident. Kat wanted nothing to do with the baby. I was going to give her up for adoption because I didnt think I would ever be able to raise this baby alone, but after spending just twenty four hours with her it was impossible to let her go. I knew that Juno and I would make it through everything this life throws at us.

"Juno, put your shoes on sweet heart, we have to go." I say softly to the sleepy child.

Its early for someone so young to be up, but I work two jobs to keep us where we are. Juno yawns tierdly as she slips her shoes on. I grab her jacket and put it on her before picking her up gently so she can rest in my arms. I gently stroke her brown hair, she always reminds me so much of Kat, but I shouldnt dwell on the past so I push the thoughts away.

I shut and lock the door to the small apartment and carefully walk down the steps with Juno in my arms. I don't have a car since I barley have money so we walk to the daycare every day. Its great exercise but definately not my favorite thing to do.

When Juno and I arive at the day care I set her down and put away her things. She runs straight over to her favorite day care worker Colby. Juno has grown very fond of him, he and I have also become very well aquanted.

I walk over to Juno who is excitedly telling Colby about a movie shes watched a million times now.

"That's great sweety." He says excitedly to the two year old.

Colby looks up at me with a smile, "Hey man." He says before giving me a hug.

I'll admit I do kind of have a crush on him, but for now we're only friends.

"Hey when does your shift end?" I ask as I gesture for Juno to go play.

"Four, why?" He asks.

"Just wanted to see if you would want to hang out." I say awkwardly.

"What time are you picking Juno up?" He asks.

"Four actually." I smile at him, " Do you want to come over for dinner?" I ask trying not to let my excitement show.

"Sure man, I'd love to." He says with a smile as he pats my back. Just more friendly gestures. Its the friend part that gets me.

I say good bye to Juno and Colby before walking to work. When I get to work in ten minuets early which is perfect timing so I go to the employee locker room. I re-tie my tye around my neck and slip on the the best over the white button up shirt. I put my walking shoes in my locker and pull out the nice shiny dress shoes before putting them on. I also tie a black apron around my waist and slip the note book and pen in the pocket along with my phone incase I get a call from the day care. I shut the company provided locker and clock in just in time.

During slow points of the day I let my mind wander to Colby and Juno. The thought of Colby makes me happy as I stare dreamily at the kitchen wall lost in a labyrinth of my own desires.

"Table two needs you." Corey says as he walks past me quickly with a tray in his hands. This snaps me out of my trance. I pull my pen and note pad out of my apron pocket and leave the kitchen.

When my shift ends I change back into my normal clothes and walk down the street once again. My second job is a lot my hectic. I work at Starbucks during lunch hours. There's a reason I dont work at the coffee place first. I may get less tips because theres less people at these times of days but I would not be able to keep up with the morning and lunch rush.

I dont get any time to think this time as I have to quickly serve the drinks. Once my shift ends I start getting ready to leave when my boss pulls me aside.

"Hey Sam, could I speak to you a moment?" Mr. Castee states.

"Oh, yeah what's up?" I ask nervously as I start to untie my green apron.

"Were having a few budget cuts and we need to let you go, in sorry." He states with sympathy.

Realization hits me as my eyes widen in fear. "But I need this job." I try to reason.

"I'm sorry Sam, it's not up to me." He says honestly.

"I have a kid at home and bills to pay, what am I supposed to do?" I ask in hysterics.

"Find another job." He says a bit coldly, clearly done with this conversation.

My eyes start to tear up. I take the apron from around my neck and throw it at him before turning around and leaving. On my way to the daycare I wipe away tears trying to compose my self before I face Juno and Colby.

I get it together and put on a smile before entering the daycare. As I walk in Juno spots me and comes running. I give her a big hug as Colby walks over.

"Should we get going?" Colby asks holding up his car key.

I smile at Colby as I pick Juno up off of the floor. Juno giggles and I shift my attention to her adorable laughs. I kiss her forehead and she giggles again. When I look back at Colby he's smiling at us both.

"Yup." I say as I let him lead the way.

We walk out to his grayish blue mini van and the car clicks signaling its been unlocked. I open the back door and buckle Juno into the middle seat before sitting in the passenger seat.

Colby turns on the radio before starting up the car. A song him and I both love comes on, shortly after it begins we both sing at the top of our lungs while Juno giggles at us from the back seat.

When we get back to my apartment complex I put Juno on the couch for a nap while I go to the kitchen to cook dinner.

After I pour the noodles in the pot I can't stop my self from remembering what happened today. My mind begins to worry and stress over what I'm going to do now. I need a new job that will work with my schedule.

I start panicking not knowing if I'll be able to support Juno and I with the small amount of money I make from my one job. A tear rolls down my cheek.

Colby walks in from setting the table. I just stand there with my head down stirring the noodles quietly. "Hey I just finished do you need any help with the food?" He asks politely.

I dont say anything, I just stand there silently. "Sam?" He questions with a hint of worry in his voice. Another tear rolls down my cheek. As the tear falls from my chin I sniffle to prevent the snot from dripping.

"Sam, what's wrong?" Colby asks as he rests his hand on my shoulder reassuringly.

I begin to sob profusely. "I'm scared." I say as I turn to him.

Colby quickly wraps me into a tight hug. "Of what?" He asks as he rubs my back gently.

"I got fired from my second job and im afraid I wont have enough money to support Juno and I." I say with my head buried in his shoulder.

"Sam, I'm sorry," he says holding me tighter, "its going to be okay I promise.

He pushes me away gently to examine my face. Before I know it his lips are pressed against mine gently. Colby pulls away all to soon and gives me a sweet smile as red creeps up from his neck. I smile back and pull him in for another kiss. This is all I've ever wanted and more.