Heroine

Authors Note: When I wrote this I was not in a stable state of mind. Much of this story reflects on issues I have previously dealt within my own personal life. The words and actions of the characters in this story do not at all reflect that of the people they are based on in real life.

Also, this story was going to have a totally different ending and the title and subtle foreshadowing in this would make more sense if I followed through with it. I just thought the original ending was too depressing and this story was already bordering on less of a short story and more of a book. If you want a part two which includes the full story and real ending let me know.

Important Disclaimer: This story deals with depression and verbal/physical abuse. If you are easily triggered by these topics, I highly advise against reading this.

Word Count: 5600

"Colby?" Sam calls as he walks into the small apartment.

There was no reply, Sam shut the door behind him and set his keys on the kitchen counter. Sam quietly made his way through the small apartment, in search of the man he loves. Upon further inspection, Sam is able to locate his lover, peacefully sleeping in their shared bed. Sam smiles down at the man before carefully getting into bed, the bed creaks slightly under his weight but the male does not stir.

Sam plays with Colby's hair as he watches him sleep, not long after the other man's eyes flutter open. "Hey, Sam." Colby says in a groggy voice as he smiles softly

"Hey, sorry I woke you up." Sam says softly.

"No, you didn't I was only napping." He admits.

"Well," Sam starts, "I was thinking about getting dinner started" He informs the sleepy man.

"Do you need any help with that?" He asks sweetly as he props himself up on his elbows.

Sam shakes his head softly, "No, I'm all good, thank you." He replies before bending down and giving Colby a quick peck on the lips.

Sam gets up from the bed and makes his way to the small kitchen of the apartment. He lets out a tired sigh. Honestly, Sam didn't want to cook today, nor did he want to do anything today. He felt that he had to, he felt obligated to get out of bed today even though, he really did not want to.

Sam filled a pot with hot water from the kitchen sink while he turns the stove on. Sam havers the back of his hand over the hot plate of the stove to feel the heat, before turning off the faucet and moving the pot from the sink to the stove. While he waits for the water to begin boiling he looks through the cabinets in search of a colander. After only a moment of searching, he places the colander on the counter next to the sink before opening a cupboard above the counter and pulling out a package of noodles. Sam sets the noodles on the counter beside the colander.

Next, Sam pulls out a decent-sized saucepan and sets it on an unused hot plate. He turns the stove on to medium heat before collecting the ingredients. Sam sets numerous ingredients into the colander to save counter space. He puts the butter into the saucepan and waits for it to melt, he uses the rubber spatula to spread the butter around in hopes that it will melt faster. Once the butter is at least mostly melted he pours in the heavy cream. After that, Sam whisks in the garlic and lets it simmer for about thirty seconds. Once the thirty seconds is up, Sam turns off the heat on the burner with the saucepan. Before he can continue with the sauce, Sam notices that the water has finally started boiling. Sam opens up the package of the noodles and pours them into the pat, making sure to fully submerge each and every noodle. Once that is done, Sam lets the noodles sit while he goes back to the sauce. Sam whisks in the parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Sam continues whisking until the cheese is fully melted. Sam turns the burner onto low heat while he begins to stir the noodles. After a minute Sam stirs the sauce before taking a noodle out of the pot and eating it to see if it was done yet or not.