The Fog

I woke up early that morning, 7:28 am to be exact, thirty-two minutes before my 8:00 am alarm. The room was unusually dark, seeing as the sun rose at about 5:30 am. I drew the curtains back to see was may have been causing it to be so dark. I could see nothing but thick gray fog. It was not usual for there to be fog, however, this was very different. Never before had I seen fog this thick. 

I knew it must not be safe to drive in this fog so I picked up my phone, turned off my alarms, and dialed my boss. The phone rang, but no one ever picked up. I decided to try again, however, once again, no one would pick up the phone. I decided that I should turn on the morning news. I turned up the volume as I made my way to the kitchen to prepare my self some breakfast.

"Authorities warn against going outside, saying that this is no normal fog. The fog, as authorities are calling it, say that scientists believe it to be very harmful, reporting that inhaling too much of it may cause severe brain damage, due to the chemicals that have been found in it." The news reported warned me as I buttered my toast, "the fog rolled in early, 6:30 this morning, and has not shown signs of going away. Do not, under any circumstances, go outside until the fog lets up, seal your doors and windows and stay safe." The woman advises.

I take a bite of my toast as I make my way back to the living area, tuning out the rest of the morning news. With my free hand, I pull out my phone and dial Colby, after three rings, he picks up the phone. "Sam? What the fuck is happening?" He asks loudly, disregarding the fact that I am the one who called him.

"I don't know dude, you saw the news right?" I asked.

"Yeah, what the fuck do they mean chemicals?" He asked, panic evident in his voice.

"Colby, it's okay, just please, don't go outside." I tried to reassure.

"Sam," He said before pausing.

"Yeah, Colbs?" I asked as I set my partially eaten toast down on the coffee table.

"I love you, Sam." He said, I could hear the fear in his voice.

"I love you too, Colby, don't worry, we're going to be okay." I reassured.

"What if w-" Colby couldn't finish his sentence because he was cut off by a beeping. Our phone call was dropped.

I redialed him, however, I was sent to voice mail. I let out a frustrated sigh as I sat down on the couch and picked up my toast. 

The news began talking about politics, which I had no interest in, I decided to change the channel, I picked up my remote and started aimlessly flipping through the channels. While I was flipping channels, the television went black. My face morphed into confusion as I knew I had not pressed the power button. I pressed the power button in hopes that the TV would come back to life, but nothing happened. I held up my remote higher, thinking that maybe, a new angle might catch the TV's censor better, I spammed the power button out of frustration but still, got nothing. I sighed and tossed the remote next to me on the couch.

As I took a bite of my toast the power went out. The room became almost pitch black. I fished my phone out of my pocket as I finished eating my single piece of toast. I turned on my phone flashlight and stood up. My first thought was to flip the breaker, then I remembered that I couldn't go outside. 

I thought for a moment before remembering that I kept a lighter in my kitchen junk drawer. I opened my drawer, only to see the antennas of a large cockroach peeking through the junk. I recoiled in disgust as it crawled over my items and disappeared somewhere in the back of the drawer. I carefully fished around in the drawer in hopes of not getting a fist full of disease-ridden sewer roach. I finally found the small orange lighter and quickly slammed the drawer shut.