Fumus x Reader (?) - Secrets

Requested by xXNyanCat808Xx

A/N: I am so sorry my hiatus was so long! Thank you very much for waiting for your request. Enjoy reading!

DISCLAIMER: Fumus is an awful character, and to stay true to that, I wrote this more like a drama instead of a romance!

PLEASE BE WARNED NOT TO READ IF YOURE EASILY DISTURBED!

----------------------------

   A pot of coffee finished brewing nearby, signaling the beginning of your end. The happy little jingle the machine admitted registered more as an executioner's bell than anything. You shuddered, picking up the pot and carefully pouring the smoldering hot liquid into a ceramic mug, warily glancing to the door soon after you finished. It was now or never.

   Outside of the little break room, you climbed a grand staircase, up and up until your legs shook so badly you could barely handle it. At the top was a set of double doors, and while admittedly small, they felt as if they towered over you. Behind them was the god Fumus. You didn't want to go behind them.

   The consequences, however, would be much deadlier if you didn't enter than if you did. The doors opened just at the very touch of your knuckles, and needed not a knock to swing forward. A strong smell of smoke lingered, and hit like a train as soon as you entered. That was something you wouldn't get used to.

   Sitting behind his desk was the man himself, seemingly uninterested by whatever he'd been doing previously. He slammed a drawer shut and looked up as you entered, an expression hidden somewhere behind his deadpan. You nodded in acknowledgement, set the mug down, and turned to leave as quickly as possible.

   "[Y/N]?"

   You swallowed. "Yes, sir?"

   "You're late."

   Was it because of your hesitation? You could feel your hands shaking, and then curling into fists, bracing for whatever would come. "Apologies, sir."

   "Don't be next time. I mean it."

   Relief struck like a giant ocean wave, so greatly that you could relax yourself enough to walk out the door and leave without a second thought. A bit after, however, that relief washed away when you sat alone pondering at the bottom of the stairs.

   "Why was I let off so easy?"

   After nearly two months of being a subordinate, that was, surprisingly, the first time the question had popped up. Now that you thought about it, though, it started to build. Several times were you let off like before. With all the other subordinates, they'd quickly been lashed at.

   It wasn't like you could see it, but you could hear it, muffled behind doors or walls or windows, shadows dancing across the surfaces. Subordinates came running and shoving past, or walking slowly with a frightened expression. Both times, they were unable to answer you when you spoke.

   You examined this behavior for a couple more weeks, and soon enough, it became clear. You committed the same mistakes and said the same things, but all of the others got treated with no respect, or, a better way to put it, no mercy. But that wasn't the only relation you found between Fumus and his subordinates.