1

Clank, clank, shh, I closed my eyes tighter against the harsh, but familiar noise of chains clanking across cement and clothes rustling against skin. I didn't want to get up and face this day, I wanted to sleep in. Prison life was a lot like school in regard to it starting way too early-SCREEEECH, a soundlike nails scraping against a chalkboard snapped my eyes open as my arms were nearly yanked out of my sockets while I crashed off my bunk to the cement floor of my cell.

Pain wracked my body, knees aching as much as my arms as I heard the old lady voice of a Fury address me. "Get up Shannon!" she said in a voice that sounded scarily like my grandmother, except that she had yellow fangs long as my forearms, leathery-grey skin with veins like a road map bright red all around. I didn't respond, after a year of this, I knew better. I didn't complain, I didn't protest,I didn't even scowl when I looked at the bitch. I just folded my chained arms down in front of me, the bronze links scrapping the floor and kept my eyes down. I was going to be a good prisoner today, I didn't want any trouble from them and I wasn't about to cause any. There just wasn't any point, even if I had a small moment where I could hurt them it didn't matter. One moment of revenge for me would leave days of punishment from them. Teachers, friends, and coaches had all said at least once that was glutton for punishment. Oh if they could see me now.

My cell door screamed across the ground as it opened and the Fury grabbed her lead chain yanking me into line with the other demigods. Our bright orange jumpsuits blinded me as I stood with my shoulders slumping with the weigh of my chains and my head down and I risked glancing up at the kids around me. I saw Asian Girl on my left, I'd seen her around before, her short black hair cut to her chin, eyes down, no smile on her face. I saw Fat Blonde too on my right, his doughy face on the floor eyes dead. I didn't see anyone new today, but something was out of the ordinary, there was something on the wall. A large spat of black that I was pretty sure was blood, it wasn't here yesterday, so it must've happened last night. I shuddered I didn't want to know what it was from, though I had a few ideas that made me feel sick. I couldn't afford to get sick, if I spilled my cookies over this floor I was pretty sure I'd find out how sharp those fangs were.

"Move!" barked the Fury and all of are chains tightened and jerked everyone forward as though she wanted one of us to fall just so she'd have an excuse to beat us bloody. We began a march that sounded like ghosts when they rattled chains, bronze scrapping against cement sure did give me the creeps. As we walked I still kept my head down glancing around between Asian Girl, Fat Blonde, Scrawny Redhead and others, I didn't know their names anymore than they all knew mine, but I had to call them something. That was the thing about the inmates here, it wasn't inmates rule and the Furys and Empusa just jumped in before someone was six feet under. It wasn't like that at all the inmates weren't making gangs and tearing each other apart. We all kept to ourselves, barely brave enough to say a few words to each other let alone pick a fight. It was the Warden and his goons we worried about.

We turned once down a hallway lined with the Empusa guards, they held their AK-45 riles up at attention, their lint colored hair cropped like they were guys, their one metal leg and donkey legs splayed apart in a strong stance that my football coach always told us to use. When we passed they hissed, baring their fangs showing yellowed teeth some stained red. I wondered if they were behind the splat on the wall outside my cell.

They fell into a box formation around us as we entered the Mess Hall which is basically a big room full of steel lunch tables and they broke us off into groups, the same ones everyday and sat us down at the tables. Asian Girl was on my left, Scrawny Redhead on the opposite side facing me. Asian Girl looked up at me out of the corner of her eye and flashed me a quick smile, she was braver than me, and if I weren't such a coward I would've smiled back but I didn't. I just put my arms up in the table, trying to give them a break from the chains. They were a bitch to carry around all the time. For a while the only sound was of creaking metal and the thunking of an Empousa trying to walk then a gust of wind that came right out of a tornado whipped around the room and sent plates of white mush slapping in front of us.